Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Low carb diet

I'm gonna try the Atkins diet or some variation of a low carb diet after the Super Bowl.

About me: I'm fat, lazy, love to eat sweets, chips, pop, fast food, basically everything that tastes good and is bad for you. At least 2 of my meals a day consist of junk food or sweets. This is gonna be an extremely tough challenge for me.

Do you guys have any favorite low carb meals or snacks you can recommend? What about any horror stories from the side effects of these types of diets. My dad's been doing the Atkins on and off for 3 years now, a few weeks ago mom made him go to the hospital because he hadn't eaten anything for 2 days. He thought it was great he wasn't eating. Maybe the diet was making him go nutzo.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Low carb diet

dieting doesn't need to involve tricks. if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. i have lost 60 pounds doing this.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:45 PM

Limtit yourself to 20carbs through the 1st 2weeks then 40 after that, you would be surprised about how much you can eat and not get 40 carbs....the only side effect I ever had is all the Splenda and Fake sugar subsitutes made me [censored] a lot

I basically lived on Chicken Wings, Salad, and Breakfast foods (Eggs, Bacon, Ham, Sausage) Did this for 3 months with cardio work and lost like 50 pounds

I eventually went off the diet became a slob again and it took 2 years to put the weight back on

Either way make sure you take vitamins and consult a doctor before starting any diet or exercise program instead of OOT
Old 01-31-2006, 07:45 PM

I tried the atkins for a while to see how i liked it. The first day I got light headed but after that I was ok. It worked ok, but i'm not sure if its cause of all their fancy science jargon, or simply because i was eating less calories due to the fact that you can only eat so much meat straight up.

I prefere just eating small 250 cal. meals 6 times a day
Old 01-31-2006, 07:55 PM

I've never been a fan of low carb diets. Carbohydrates are good for you, as long as they're complex carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, etc.). I went from 320 lbs to 180 lbs with a 40/40/20 protein/carbs/fat diet. You don't have to eliminate carbs to lose weight. In the end, it all comes down to cals in vs. cals out.

And I doubt Atkins had anything to do with your dad not eating for two days. That sounds like anorexia.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:58 PM

Check out the South Beach diet. Much easier to stick to than Atkins and yet very effective.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:59 PM

the whole atkins thing is BS. people are stupid and believe it for some reason.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:01 PM

What foods classifies as regular carbs and complex carbs?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:04 PM

I did it for 3 months or so and did lose around 1.5 - 2 stone (Is that 24 pounds in US not sure) but as soon as stopped most of it went back on.

Its a hard diet to do it gets very boring even though I liked meat, only so many omlettes etc you can take. Lack of beer is a pain in the arse as well.

I dont think atkins is right for you, just means you are going to eat more junky fast food meat but prob throw the bread away etc. You need to cut out the crap and eat more fruit and veg and proper meals and have water or tea instead of sugary drinks. A lot of salady type stuff (as long as not drentched in dressing) you can eat as much as you want of, add in sensible proper good quality no additive meat (fresh chicken or whatever) and you have the basis of healthy food that will make you feel better, and prob have more energy as well as losing weight. A mixed varied diet is the key (and easier to keep up once you get to the weight you want) imho not following the latest fad.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dieting doesn't need to involve tricks. if you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. i have lost 60 pounds doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Everyone I know that has ever done Atkins or any variant of a low carb diet has enjoyed the results, but got away from it in due time. It works, but I just don't think it's sustainable. But since I started counting calories, I find it hard to believe that I'll ever be able to go back to the ignorant, disgusting, yet blissful eating habits I once had.