Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: live 3/6 how much of a hand do i have here?

I think you should listen to Hip here. If you actually have to think about strategy at live 3/6 you probably don't really know what you are doing.

go pick up Ed Miller's Small Stakes Hold'em and read it a couple of times in a row. then decide if calling pf with 94s and check-raising every goofy flop is really a good idea.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:56 PM

Why are you calling a preflop raise from a nitty player with 94s?

I also think you should fold the flop. You have no hand no draw and from the descriptions of small stakes live games in general and your description of this player it seems like she has a strong hand.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here's how it goes.
You play 3-6 Live, you probalby suck at poker
I play 10-20 online, I do suck at poker, just at a much higher level.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry hip but you can't get away with your buddy ILP's dickish tone because your posts aren't nearly as insightful as his. OP has a history of making good posts in other forums, this forum will be better with him posting. so don't be a tool.

and you're way off the mark here, the flop is an autoraise against certain opponents live. he gave us a pf range that isn't JJ+/AK and if you cant accept that even 3/6 players can play differently than one another then you're the one with the problem.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:12 PM

Ok, I just read the rest of the posts in this thread. I still think the preflop call is close, and generally I want a better hand to try anything fancy on this flop.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
here's how it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry hip but you can't get away with your buddy ILP's dickish tone because your posts aren't nearly as insightful as his. OP has a history of making good posts in other forums, this forum will be better with him posting. so don't be a tool.

and you're way off the mark here, the flop is an autoraise against certain opponents live. he gave us a pf range that isn't JJ+/AK and if you cant accept that even 3/6 players can play differently than one another then you're the one with the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Hip's defense, the guy asked for advice, it was given, and then he went into a long argument about how this play was not only correct but standard. Hip's sort-of-insult may not have been necessary, but he also added some self-deprication (sp?) to moderate his tone. I don't know I guess I felt like the OP got a little defensive first so it really wasn't that crazy that thehip tried to explain why his experience gave him insight the OP might be ignoring.

but anyway.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 PM

While you can squabble about when OP should have folded, the answers to his original questions are painfully obvious:

how much of a hand do i have here?
Buddy, you have 9 high, you have nothing.

and

can i even call here?
No, a nitty player just took you to 3-town on the flop. You are a chipspewing monkey if you go any further. It looks like an overpair that will call down to me. The best you can hope for is that the villain has 2 overs, misses the turn, and will fold to a turn donk; this could happen 1 time in 4, whereas you will have to invest 3 sb to win a 9 sb pot. At best you are looking at a neutral EV.

If villain just tight, you should wait to have some dogs before going to battle with him. It could work if villain is weak tight, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
here's how it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jba, ILP and I play the exact same game, and I can be a dick if I want.

In my defense, against 90% of live players, the OP just lit 2BB on fire, and 1.5BB with no pair no draw.

It doesn't take a genius to understand that 94s is going to lose money against a nitty PFR.

I understand about getting him to "fold" overs, but you are assuming he will fold overs.

You basicallyhave to c/r the flop, bet the turn, and bet the river in a tiny ass pot and hope he doesn't have QQ, but has KQ this time.

This whole hand is atrocious, and yes, I do think I am better than the OP at poker, and I yes I am better than the OP at poker. It doesn't really matter that much, but in this spot, he should stop dicking around and realize I know what the ---- I'm talking about and stop burning money.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:20 PM

sounds like a case of the mondays
Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 PM

Look, the rake in a 3/6 game makes this an incredibly easy fold preflop. If there were no rake its probably still a fold, because A-hi won't be calling you down when you flop a pair anyhow.

Also, If getting this woman to fold were so easy, why not just 3-bet any two preflop and bet the flop+turn?

I like the flop c/r though and I might peel occasionally if I thought she was the type of angry woman who would 3-bet AJ+ here and take a "free card" on the turn.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 PM

3-bet preflop or fold.