Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Default PF hand strength, guidance required

As I delve deeper into our shorthanded world, I realize the days of multi-way holdem are behind me. Deciding what to defend blinds with and/or steal my opponents blinds has left me wondering which hands outweigh others in preflop heads up value?

I've come across a chart of all 169 starting hands. The author has listed each hand according to value in 10-handed pots down to heads-up pots. Naturally many hands change value dramatically as pots become heads-up. There are hands that I defend with that fall further down this list than hands I fold, and vice-versa.

I realize decisions are made according to opponent reads and that hand value relative opponent range is but part of the information required to make good pre-flop decisions. Still, I intend to list these hands according to heads-up value and use this list to guide my decisions.

What are the pitfalls to adopting a strategy that employs such a list?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: PF hand strength, guidance required

url to list?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:59 PM

I'm computer illiterate...tell me how...
Old 06-10-2007, 06:02 PM

I can't imagine using a list, but if it's a good preflop strategy, then it can't hurt to use it. I just go by feel. I knew preflop strategy for 10 handed games, and over time I've learned 6max by feel. In 6max, high card strength is very important in hand selection. Implied odds hands are not as valuable in this game.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:47 PM

Buy Stoxtrader's book and study it. People can debate what the greatest limit holdem book is, but this much should be understood by all: No book covers preflop play better than Stox's book. No book comes close.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine using a list, but if it's a good preflop strategy, then it can't hurt to use it. I just go by feel. I knew preflop strategy for 10 handed games, and over time I've learned 6max by feel. In 6max, high card strength is very important in hand selection. Implied odds hands are not as valuable in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, and hence my need for a chart. Deciding which of 3 actions to take when 1st in from the SB is a much larger part of this game. As is the decision of how to respond to steals from late raisers or the SB when in the BB. And we all have our limits per position when doing our own stealing. Like most winning players I'm comfortable with my pre-flop decisions in a full ring game with lots of multi-handed pots. I was taken back to see that 77 rises from 34th 6-way to 9th heads-up. Or that JTs is 19th best in a 6-handed pot but only 46th heads up. That's far less pre-flop strength than I've been bargaining for. And believe it or not, I'm not that bad!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy Stoxtrader's book and study it. People can debate what the greatest limit holdem book is, but this much should be understood by all: No book covers preflop play better than Stox's book. No book comes close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this and I will. I assume Mr. Stoxtrader covers heads-up situations from a mathematical angle?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 PM

sn, plz!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT!

The preflop part of Stox's book is awesome!