Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: This OP demonstrates many intellectual inadequacies.

[ QUOTE ]
um...what cheating scandal?? i know she is not exactly a nice person (pretty well known) but to just say she is a cheater and not explain further gives little to no credence to the accusation... not saying u are wrong, but to be vague, is just not fair to all parties involved....

[/ QUOTE ]

She didn't just provide advice to a drunk player.
She actively consulted two of the three players on how to cheat the third one out of any chance at the prize money.
She admitted to it, apologized fo it, and financially reimbursed the third player.
Also, check the numerous Angle shooting Annie threads.
Also, checkout Daniel Negreanu's anecdote on Annie's cheating.

If it doesn't matter who represents us, then I apologize for stirring up trouble.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: PPA should fire Annie Duke

As much of a nuisance that the varied PPA detractors and D$D's "volunteer" efforts are, they are a welcome sign that the PPA is on a path to achieving its goals (since we wouldn't be hearing from them otherwise).
Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 PM

Ugly truth: All high stakes players collude, if not openly cheat. All of them. Its just how it works, two or three against another two or three trying to fleece a sucker or two.
It sucks, its dishonest, but thats just the reality of the tables with 7 figures on them.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, there is no doubt whatsoever that her performance before the Committee was exceptionally well handled. In no way did your gripes, even if true, detract from her effectiveness in her testimony and Q&A performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was unable to view her testimony, but reading the accounts, all I could think was, "man, we couldn't find a better face for our cause?" Mrs. Duke is very intelligent and thinks well on her feet. She got across all the points that needed to be said. However, she's just so damn unlikeable. What you say, sadly, is not nearly as important as how you say it. Who, listening to Annie's belligerent bitching and whining would actually want to help our cause? Who looks at her and sees a hard-working mother of 4? I've got nothing against Annie, I'm sure she's a wonderful person. In fact, I even got an autograph from her (to my aunt) which she was happy to sign. But I'm sure she knows as well as I that she's just not that likeable. So yes, in my mind, there is considerable doubt that she was an EFFECTIVE speaker. I'd much have her behind the scenes preparing statements for others to read. We can find a better champion.

All that said, great thanks to Annie for all that she has done for this cause. As to her "cheating", angle shooting isn't cheating. It's just bad manners.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ugly truth: All high stakes players collude, if not openly cheat. All of them. Its just how it works, two or three against another two or three trying to fleece a sucker or two.
It sucks, its dishonest, but thats just the reality of the tables with 7 figures on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude... what?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, there is no doubt whatsoever that her performance before the Committee was exceptionally well handled. In no way did your gripes, even if true, detract from her effectiveness in her testimony and Q&A performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was unable to view her testimony, but reading the accounts, all I could think was, "man, we couldn't find a better face for our cause?" Mrs. Duke is very intelligent and thinks well on her feet. She got across all the points that needed to be said. However, she's just so damn unlikeable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should watch her testimony on YouTube. Some people are very unlikeable up close, but come across as very friendly when "on stage." Annie may fall into this category. Barry Greenstein said she and Vanessa Rousso were the most effective talkers during the PPA fly-in. Chairman Conyers agreed as he requested Annie testify at the hearing.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude... what?

[/ QUOTE ]

High stakes players, named pros, whatever you call them, actively collude 95% of the time. I meant what I said. Its not a fair game to an outsider.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:19 PM

I saw a video of her performance, she did well. I liked her response about ancedotal evidence.

I don't know or care whether she is a wonderful person because, "She got across all the points that needed to be said. "

That is what counted.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw a video of her performance, she did well. I liked her response about ancedotal evidence.

I don't know or care whether she is a wonderful person because, "She got across all the points that needed to be said. "

That is what counted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should watch her testimony on YouTube.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right! Duke comes across great. Yay Annie!