Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Weather Channel Founder says\"Global Warming is Biggest Scam in His

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who said anything about a dictator? I think decisions like this should be left in the hand of competent decision makers, proven leaders and the scientific experts of their respective fields.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said those are mutually exclusive?

I think the decisions about what type of tree I should plant in my yard should be made by an expert arborist. You just want to pick a tree and plant it yourself.

Why must one of these two opinions dominate the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should decide how decisons are made with your property, not mine.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How are you coming up with the "right" response faster than the market? For every case of "environmental damage" there may be a "correct" response, but there may also be several incorrect responses (from "experts" no less) that will actually make the situation worse. How is your selection process going to weed these out better than the market does and do so faster?

[/ QUOTE ]

My selection process is going to be better because decisions are made by various experts (including economists and other social scientists).
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wacki,

I agree with you completely. Academia-centered research is an area that is often gnored by free market advocates, despite the fact that results seem to historically be pretty good.

I'm simply saying that even if that weren't the case, wealth efficiency isn't the be all and end all of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think academic research is incompatible with a free market?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says I do? Currently, it is largely government funded. So, government funded research has done good things. Unless this stops tomorrow, I suspect government funded research will continue to produce good things.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Who got into space first?

[/ QUOTE ]

The country that cared? We didn't give a damn until the USSR did it and it became a competition.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who said anything about a dictator? I think decisions like this should be left in the hand of competent decision makers, proven leaders and the scientific experts of their respective fields.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the decisions about what type of tree I should plant in my yard should be made by an expert arborist. You just want to pick a tree and plant it yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine if the tree you plant affects the soil in a way which destroys my ability to plan whatever tree I want. That's the world we live in.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The country that cared? We didn't give a damn until the USSR did it and it became a competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the point though, is it. Mark's posts make it out as though all the government is capable of doing is flushing money down the toilet. Like all things in life, government spending can't simply be discussed as one thing. In some arenas, government is highly wasteful and ineffective. In other arenas, this isn't the case.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Government can build an escalator to the clouds. It would be a great achievement. So what? You are the one who is short on specifics. I offer as evidence of the power of free markets all the great industries, products & services brought to us by the profit motive. You cite an environmental concern. Our air is healthier today then it was 30 years ago! There is agreat concern about the environment and their are laws that protect the environment from harm. I support governments role is protecting rights and property not not in allocating resources.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize that the government has to allocate resources to protect rights and the environment? Or do you assume that simply passing laws makes it so?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wacki,

I agree with you completely. Academia-centered research is an area that is often gnored by free market advocates, despite the fact that results seem to historically be pretty good.

I'm simply saying that even if that weren't the case, wealth efficiency isn't the be all and end all of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think academic research is incompatible with a free market?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

You said this:

[ QUOTE ]
Academia-centered research is an area that is often gnored by free market advocates

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this means they don't talk about it a lot or if you think they don't want to see it at all. But either way, a free market does not prevent academic research. So the constant talk about how "profit motive isn't good at incentivizing XYZ, therefore freemarket = fail" is fallacious.

[ QUOTE ]
Currently, it is largely government funded. So, government funded research has done good things. Unless this stops tomorrow, I suspect government funded research will continue to produce good things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goof from some subjective opinions, and ignoring opportunity costs.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I don't think this is true. Ike was VERY interested in a space program for military intelligence. It seems that the effort was mostly kept secret until the soviets decided to make it a PR campaign. Which was actually good for military space budgets, since getting the public into a "LETS BEAT THEM RUSSKIES" frenzy allowed the sapce program budget to expand like crazy.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine if the tree you plant affects the soil in a way which destroys my ability to plan whatever tree I want. That's the world we live in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you sue for damages if you actually incur them. You don't premptively assign an expert to tell us both which tree to plant and bill me for half so you can get a cheap rate on something you wanted.