Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Why \"Would You . . .\" Questions are All BS

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose it depends on whether you truly know yourself. Most people who perform heroic deeds or are prone to heroism know it deep within themselves. I have known since I was a little boy that I would not hesitate to rescue or save someone if I could. I have saved three people in my lifetime, twice with little danger to myself and once with considerable danger. Even though I have never saved someone from a burning building I am quite confident I would try if I thought there was a reasonable chance of success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Share those stories with us, now, please.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can say anything you like now in your swivel chair, but it has little bearing on what preferences or value scale you would actually demonstrate in the actual situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree; I think there is in general some form of correlation (admittidly weak) between what people say they would do and what they actually would do.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 PM

the point of the question isn't what you decide, its how you arrived there and whether or not your conclusion is rational.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:55 PM

Not only that, but you can't even know from day to day how you would react. Last week, some friends and I were reminiscing and one brought up the time I rose to the defense of a woman who was being attacked by a knife wielding maniac in a restaurant (while everyone else just sat there). I wound up throwing him out a window and needing 12 stitches in my arm. The entire restaurant applauded.

I was a reckless teenager back then. I highly doubt I would do anything like that now even though I like to think I would. We change.. Our values and priorities change.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose it depends on whether you truly know yourself. Most people who perform heroic deeds or are prone to heroism know it deep within themselves. I have known since I was a little boy that I would not hesitate to rescue or save someone if I could. I have saved three people in my lifetime, twice with little danger to myself and once with considerable danger. Even though I have never saved someone from a burning building I am quite confident I would try if I thought there was a reasonable chance of success.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, one.

When I was about 8 years old I was with a group of small kids and one adult. We were on a rock jetty along the shore of Lake Michigan. The rocks were very slippery and the waves were crashing up against them. A little girl got caught by a wave and fell off the rocks into the deep water. She was being pulled out deeper into the lake. No one was a good swimmer. I jumped in a swam to her. It was very hard swimming against the current but I got her back to the others. They had formed a line by holding each others hand and managed to get her back to shore. It was hard for me to get out because of the slippery algae on the rocks and the crashing waves. Eventually, I got out with the help of the others. It may not seem dangerous now but at the time it was.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I mean the "Would you run into a burning building to save a baby" type questions. I've asked my share of these. And they can be useful in examining your personal feelings on the pros and cons of various ethical/moral situations.

But anyone who says they definitely would do this or they certainly would do that under such and such circumstances is deluding themselves. You are not in that choice situation. You can say anything you like now in your swivel chair, but it has little bearing on what preferences or value scale you would actually demonstrate in the actual situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The relevant data in these sorts of hypothetical cases (at least as they are usually employed in moral philosophy) is what the responder thinks they should do in those circumstances, and not whether or not they are correct about what they would in fact do.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, one.

When I was about 8 years old I was with a group of small kids and one adult. We were on a rock jetty along the shore of Lake Michigan. The rocks were very slippery and the waves were crashing up against them. A little girl got caught by a wave and fell off the rocks into the deep water. She was being pulled out deeper into the lake. No one was a good swimmer. I jumped in a swam to her. It was very hard swimming against the current but I got her back to the others. They had formed a line by holding each others hand and managed to get her back to shore. It was hard for me to get out because of the slippery algae on the rocks and the crashing waves. Eventually, I got out with the help of the others. It may not seem dangerous now but at the time it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That sounds extremely dangerous. How could you as an eight year old manage to do this? Incredible.
Are you in contact with the girl that you saved today?
You don't want to share the other stories?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. That sounds extremely dangerous. How could you as an eight year old manage to do this? Incredible.
Are you in contact with the girl that you saved today?
You don't want to share the other stories?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you are leveling me.

I am sure it does not seem brave now but at the time I was not a great swimmer. But I did not hesitate and that is the point. I don't even remember who the girl was.

I saved my sister once when I was about 12. We were driving and the side door opened. She fell out of the car at about 40 mph. I dove for her and caught her before she fell completely out of the car. Everyone then grabbed my legs to keep me from falling out of the car while I held onto my sister.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:10 PM

I like all the responses in this thread.

Edit: Almost.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:50 PM

haha redefines the meaning of "nice catch"