Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2006, 04:54 AM

Default Virgin Spring

I'm a burgeoning filmie, but I don't have the writing talent or desire to post a full review right now, so I'm posting this in order to start a discussion about this film.

Tonight, I watched Ingmar Bergman's "Virgin Spring." This film doesn't get as much pub as other Bergman films such as "The Seventh Seal," "Wild Strawberries," or "Persona," but it's pretty much flawless.

The plot is rather simplistic, It is essentially a story of a Christian family in the Middle Ages, and the conflicts between the burgeoning Christian faith and the paganism still ruling at the time. We meet the family patriarch (a fantastic Max von Sydow), his extremely Christian wife, their virginal daughter Karin, and their pagan foster daughter, Ingeri. On the way to deliver candles for Mass, tragedy strikes Karin, and the rest of the picture covers the aftermath.

If revealing more plot points make for a better discussion, I'll attach a spoiler to the title. For now, I'll just say that this is one of the better films I've seen in a long time, and I highly recommend it.