Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Getting in over your head......job related

[ QUOTE ]
My employees could socialize in the bar during off hours and they got $1.50 drinks for themselves. In order to get the $1.50 price they had to go to one register and get their drink (one at a time) from the duty bartender manager. They had to pay full price for food.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt give discounts at all. Im more worried about a known employee having too much to drink. Most of the time, this place will be a night club, and I wont care if they are drunk having a good time, because it will be the proper setting, its the 5pm to 9pm dinner/happyhour time. In fact, I may say that employees are only allowed in after dinner ends or something of that nature.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM

By no socializing during off hours you mean they can't be in the club unless they're working right? What exactly is the reason for that?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 PM

Isn't the problem with offering eployee's friends a discount that this policy will be abused by the employees just looking for bigger tips.

I can just see it now: "Hey man, I'm gonna do you a favor and take 20% off your bill, if you see guids come over here just let him know you're my friend."

Also, don't restaurants rely on incredibly thin profit margins as it is?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This leades on to my next experience, try not to emotionally ride the highs and lows. If you get depressed whenever it's quiet and really happy whenever it's busy then you're on an emotional roller-coaster ride to mental anguish. Try to keep yourself detached from the short-term and concentrate on doing your job right and making it happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guids,

You seem pretty level headed, so it might not be a big issue, but I really don't think the importance of the above line from adsman's post should be overlooked.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the problem with offering eployee's friends a discount that this policy will be abused by the employees just looking for bigger tips.

I can just see it now: "Hey man, I'm gonna do you a favor and take 20% off your bill, if you see guids come over here just let him know you're my friend."

Also, don't restaurants rely on incredibly thin profit margins as it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that and having any discounts available to bartenders just lets them abuse a lot they wouldnt otherwise be able to.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 PM

So this is in St. Louis? Sounds sweet, as STL= good bars, crappy (and few) clubs.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 AM

i know you said retaurants won't be a big part, but if you're close to a lot of office buildings, i'd see if you can get a bunch of numbers, and then fax your menu over to them daily.

people are lazy, and if you make it simple for them to get your food, you might be able to get a decent share of their business. and since it's during lunch time, it won't be taking away from time/energy spent running the club.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 PM

Guids,

Nothing useful to add, just wanted to add my name to the "jealous" crowd.

Im not sure what you are doing would be for me, but its awesome to see nonetheless.

Will be following the thread with interest.

Actually, just read jeffmets post above mine and that sounds like a solid idea.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know you said retaurants won't be a big part, but if you're close to a lot of office buildings, i'd see if you can get a bunch of numbers, and then fax your menu over to them daily.

people are lazy, and if you make it simple for them to get your food, you might be able to get a decent share of their business. and since it's during lunch time, it won't be taking away from time/energy spent running the club.

[/ QUOTE ]

We wont be doing that off the bat, but it is in the works, possibly delivering/catering too. the sad fact is, its not easy to become a millionaire anymore running 1 restaurant, yes it will add a bunch to your bottom line, but running the nightclub makes the restaurant seem like pennies...hopefully.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:43 PM

Update time:

[censored] has been nuts. Ive been working about 16 hours a day 7 days a week just getting all the construction/paperwork and other BS in order. I love it though, usually I get tired of things quick, but Ive been looking forward to getting up every morning and going to work, and the fun part hasnt even started yet. I will get more information the closer we are to opening, gotta keep things hush hush for a bit. Ive also learned more in the last month or so, than in 4 years of college, so let that be a lesson to you college kids, screw it, just work on hustling your ass off and opportunities will knock.

Another thing: as far as the highs and lows go, the highs still are as high, and the lows Ive learned to just put my head down shrug off and get [censored] done, freaking out or bitching doesnt do much to get the place going, and the less pissed off I am the more my construction/reps/etc do to help me get opened. I wish I would have had time to write every single thing down that I had to go through to open from the liquor license to how to negotiate w/ red bull, but I just dont have the time