Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

I'm not sure you know what satirical means. At least not when this post is coupled with your statement that you were not sure if anyone would get it.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We generally have a very favorable view of Europeans, with the exception being the French, which is very mixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much like us Europeans then [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please dont compare the brits with europe.

We are much more advanced socially and economically.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Brit, I'm not sure either of these is true. Socially? You must be kidding me... Go to any city centre on a Saturday night and tell me we are socially advanced.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 PM

I just got back from a vacation and had an LAX customs-line-inspired conversation about Europeans. Here's what a random sampling of Americans in a customs line thinks about Europeans:

1. B.O.
2. Speedos, lol

I'm pretty sure if Americans had to summarize their view of Europeans in two words it would be "speedos and B.O."

Irieguy
Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 PM

B.O. ... I didnt have an issue with Europeans smelling while I was in Europe... that was until I flew home and had to go use the bathroom. The BO that the last guy (or even maybe the guy before him?) left was soooo [censored] horrible that my piss actually neutralized the air long enough for me to breathe.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:36 PM

Yeah the continentals are fking obsessed with speedos for some reason. I went to a waterpark near Barcelona a few summers ago and we weren't allowed swimming because of the 'no shorts' rule. Obviously left because a) I wasnt paying 15 quid for a pair of pants that I'm going to wear once and b) I'd rather die than look like a complete [censored] in speedos. Thank God speedos are ridiculed in Britain (though unfortunately this doesn't stop fat, pasty old men wearing them in pools).
Old 10-23-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure you know what satirical means. At least not when this post is coupled with your statement that you were not sure if anyone would get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. for being an elitist, "well learned and well traveled" piece of [censored], he really doesnt understand much.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah the continentals are fking obsessed with speedos for some reason. I went to a waterpark near Barcelona a few summers ago and we weren't allowed swimming because of the 'no shorts' rule. Obviously left because a) I wasnt paying 15 quid for a pair of pants that I'm going to wear once and b) I'd rather die than look like a complete [censored] in speedos. Thank God speedos are ridiculed in Britain (though unfortunately this doesn't stop fat, pasty old men wearing them in pools).

[/ QUOTE ]

Speedos are almost unheard of in America. This is why I found it so odd that Europeans look dowm on American tourists for wearing shorts.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:27 PM

One Outer,

What part of your original post was satirical/ironic? Sounds like you meant every word you wrote.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I grew up in military family, am pro-life, believe in smaller government, morally conservative, from the South. married to a rancher's daughter. How can I not be a Republican

[/ QUOTE ]

What astonishes me is that people like yourself were duped into voting for Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many people don't understand that people vote for different reasons. Some people vote based on projected foreign policy actions/involvement. Some people vote on domestic political issues (social security, national health care). And some people, including many conservatives, vote on values (abortion, judge appointments, tolerance of religious freedom, gay marriage issues, etc).

It is the right of every single person to vote based on what is important to them.

While I might not agree with all of Bush's decisions in regards to foreign policy, I am definately a Republican in regards to domestic policy and social policy. Those are my beliefs. Why would I vote for a democrat who is going to advance many things I disagree with?

I don't think Bush might have been the best Republican choice just as many right now might not think Clinton or Obama are the best Democratic choices. But ultimately you vote for the candidate that will advance the issues that are most important to you personally. That's democracy.

You can disagree that moral/social issues are as important as foreign policy, but you can't really disagree with my right to vote based on the issues that are most important to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

also its the governments job to protect us from evil gay marriage.