Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Don Shula 72\' miami coach- \"undefeated pats deserve an asterisk\"

[ QUOTE ]
this was the guy who a couple posts earlier was telling me i was making stuff up because he hadn't bothered to completely read the article we were talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, he said you were making stuff up because you thought shula was criticizing BB for all these reasons like not shaking hands and running up the score. and then you quoted something to him from the article that had nothing to do with any of those things and were like, 'come on, read the article!!'

lol
Old 11-07-2007, 04:12 AM

owsley,

i think you have to cheat in a way that gives you a serious edge that the opponent lacks any means to rectify or overcome. so, to me, both the pats' and the colts' alleged 'cheating' is fairly minor, because the edge gained, while meaningful, is not overwhelming, and remedies exist for the other team.

this is a very general definition and i'm sure there are points to quibble with, but i think it's a good starting point. basically,

importance of cheating is a function of (edge gained, recourse available to opponent).
Old 11-07-2007, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Don Shula \'72 miami coach- \"undefeated pats deserve an asterisk\"

Also, as much as I [censored] hate the patriots and all the douchebag boston sports fans I have had to deal with since the sox/pats runs that have started, if they go undefeated this doesn't deserve an asterix. And I would really love to believe that it does, but it doesn't.

What would make things really interesting and possibly legitimately taint things was if it was somehow discovered that they had done this from the early stages of the belichick dominance era. Then this would be a huge deal. But unfortunately there is zero proof of that.

On another note, right now Boston fans are the biggest douchebags in the sports universe and this is undebatable. If you try to deny this you are lying or just flat out incorrect. I am sure Yankee fans were similar from 96-03, or for any other region that has reached this level of dominance. One thing that I think definitely makes me feel this in particular is that I am a college student, and the huge majority of Boston sports fans I know only really started paying attention to things when their teams started winning, and if you brag about it then that makes you a definite douchebag.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
owsley,

i think you have to cheat in a way that gives you a serious edge that the opponent lacks any means to rectify or overcome. so, to me, both the pats' and the colts' alleged 'cheating' is fairly minor, because the edge gained, while meaningful, is not overwhelming, and remedies exist for the other team.

this is a very general definition and i'm sure there are points to quibble with, but i think it's a good starting point. basically,

importance of cheating is a function of (edge gained, recourse available to opponent).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this and the sound piping thing are relatively minor. The NFL is an extremely die hard place, and im sure a large number of teams do stuff like this. It definitely isn't an accident that the two teams who have been the most accused of cheating (pats/colts) are the two most successful teams, they are going to get a spotlight on them that the Panthers, Jaguars, and Bills dont.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this was the guy who a couple posts earlier was telling me i was making stuff up because he hadn't bothered to completely read the article we were talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, he said you were making stuff up because you thought shula was criticizing BB for all these reasons like not shaking hands and running up the score. and then you quoted something to him from the article that had nothing to do with any of those things and were like, 'come on, read the article!!'

lol

[/ QUOTE ]
NT honestly man this is why i think pats fans are insufferable. You have no clue. Kneel said i was making stuff up b/c I said Shula thought the spygate thing was more than a week 1 camera incident. In my post I made it explicitly clear everything else is what I thought, not Shula. I then showed that Shula did say he thought spygate was not an isolated thing.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So how much do you have to cheat for an achievement like this to be tainted?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get one penalty the whole year your team is just a bunch of cheaters.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:15 AM

i'm pretty sure kneel said you were making stuff up because you said you think shula dislikes bellichick for all those other random reasons. that's what he subsequently questioned you about, which caused you to get all pissy. but i'm the one who has no clue, right? get a grip.

but of course it's impossible to argue with a pats fan about something like this, we can't do simple things like understand the arguments that are being made by various parties.

better just resort to your plan of attacking all pats fans, seems to work well.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 AM

ugh, i hate the patriots and now i might even be rooting for them to go undefeated, that [censored] prick
Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT honestly man this is why i think pats fans are insufferable. You have no clue. Kneel said i was making stuff up b/c I said Shula thought the spygate thing was more than a week 1 camera incident. In my post I made it explicitly clear everything else is what I thought, not Shula.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think what bugs him is the classless way this team might go about breaking his record.

[/ QUOTE ]

explain what you mean. really.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its everything from cheating, to running up the score, to Belichick being an arrogant A-hole in press conferences, to him not shaking the hands of other coach when he wins, to the players spiking balls on the Indy helmet and doing the 'lights out' on the Charger's logo, this is probably the crap that bugs him .

[/ QUOTE ]

yes when asked to explain why you think this is "probably the crap that bugs him" you are unable to provide any answer better than "it's just a guess" and you react by calling me insufferable and impossible to argue with.

bottom line is that this stuff bothers YOU. taking Shula's comment to mean he "probably" agrees with you is just dumb.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:18 AM

I'd like to see the Pats go undefeated untill they get to the AFC playoff game, and then the Colts beat them in Foxboro on their way to back-to-back SuperBowls.
But I know that's just me.

If the Colts/Pats do meet again, will it be SuperBowl 41 3/4?