Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 PM

Default When to 3-bet and when to just call???

Under what circumstances is it more profitable to 3-bet someone as opposed to flat-calling their bet??? The question includes both in position and out of position....
Possible scenarios....

1. KQs in BB, 32/24 raises from button, what's our move...
2. JTs in SB, 18/12 raises from CO.....
3. 78s in BB, 24/17 raises from button.....
4. KJos on button, 32/24 raises from CO.....
5. 88 on button, 32/24 raises from CO.....
6. AQs on CO, 18/12 raises from UTG.....
7. 99 on BB, 24/17 raises from button....
8. 45s on button, 24/17 raises from the CO....

FYI, it is 6-max, and you range from 18/14 to 21/17
100 bb Stakes
Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Re: When to 3-bet and when to just call???

1. rr
2. fold
3. fold
4. rr
5. rr
6. call
7. rr.
8. call

in alot of these hands a vary my play between rr'ing and calling. Like in hand 5 and 8 I will some times rr and some times just call.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:06 AM

You'll fold getting 3.5-1 with 78s in the big blind, but cold-call a raise with position with 54s getting only 1.75-1 against the same opponent's range?

1. KQs in BB, 32/24 raises from button

Reraise. KQs is only a big dog to AA-QQ, AK and AQ (3.7% of hands).

2. JTs in SB, 18/12 raises from CO

Fold. Here you are too easily dominated, and the big blind is yet to act.

3. 78s in BB, 24/17 raises from button

Getting 3.5-1, this is a trivial call. With medium/low suited connectors you are less likely to be dominated. Plus, you are only making a -EV move if villian has an overpair or has you dominated (5.9% of hands). He's clearly raising more than this amount.

4. KJos on button, 32/24 raises from CO

This one is a bit tougher, and would require some post-flop information. I tend to fold offsuit broadways that can be dominated for two bets, but if he can be stealing with any two cards (which seems to be the case), I'll often 3-bet it here.

5. 88 on button, 32/24 raises from CO

Easy 3-bet. Unlike the last hand, you aren't dominated nearly as often here. Only a big dog to overpairs, and that's a measly 2.7% of hands while he raises 9 times that many.

6. AQs on CO, 18/12 raises from UTG

From UTG? Meh. I probably fold here, sometimes cold-call if he's weak and predictable post-flop.

7. 99 on BB, 24/17 raises from button

3-bet, for many of the same reasons mentioned above.

8. 45s on button, 24/17 raises from the CO.

45s just isn't enough hand and the pot isn't big enough to cold-call a raise with nobody else in. With a couple of other limpers, then sure, since you'll be getting at least 3-1 once the pre-flop betting ends.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:42 AM

Ego.. Flatcalling 78s in blinds in a HU pot where you are playing OOP is a crappy spot. I would rather rr than call. Im folding most of the times though.
Calling with 45s is marginal as well. But position is very important when playing SCs.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:16 PM

OP is asking about NL ("100 BB stacks") and you are responding from a limit POV.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:34 PM

Yes I forgot to mention, this is NL......
Old 07-16-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP is asking about NL ("100 BB stacks") and you are responding from a limit POV.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes a huge difference. I don't have enough practical NL experience to answer.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:59 AM

The limit matters a lot, as does a ton of other factors, the biggest is how well do I know my opponents and how they act? How often are they raising in those positions, how often they steal the blinds, how they act in a reraised pot post flop etc etc. Which is why it isn't I think, as simple of an answer as one might think, and falls in the nebulous "it depends" category.

But I also think that in addition to the questions I ask regarding my opponents behaviors and tendancies, I need to ask some questions of my own, and more importantly, have some answers, and be able to work them out within the timer.

For example; what is my plan after 3 betting 99 from the bb as in your example, when the flop misses me (like it so often will) and brings overcards and I am OOP.
Or if I hit my Ace flop with AQ and get crai....now what? can I get away here?
I seem to do better when I have a clear idea of what my plans are though out the hand, esp. in 3 bet pots.

Lots and lots of hands will help as well as posting specific hands here in the NL forums, but there is also a third option, one I may use more than the other two if I need to ask this question, which of course is I can always fold if I am unsure how to proceed.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:15 AM

Going by the cards only, these cards aren't really good enough to re-raise with. That is unless you believe the person that opened the pot is loose raising (raising with a hand that does not represent the range of hands from his position). Therefore, if you're opponent is loose and/or you suspect he is bluffing, then the Gap principal does not apply. In this case, you re-raise the original raiser with a hand you would normally raise with to open the pot with.

Also, A good general rule is if you want to win that pot, to not play with two consecutive passive actions like a call preflop, then a check on the flop (unless you're check-raising). So obviously with that in mind, you have alot of options. I'll just give a few suggestions based on some options I may take against a tight table with guys that bluff every once in a while.

1. KQs in BB, 32/24 raises from button, what's our move...
Answer: Call, then optionally lead out a bet when the flop comes regardless of whether it helped or not. you would like to see a flop with these cards looking for a flush or a straight. I like keeping other players with me on cards like this. But your position on the flop is favorable if you want to take the first stab at it.

2. JTs in SB, 18/12 raises from CO.....
Another marginal hand. I would just call and use my position to see where I stand after the flop.

3. 78s in BB, 24/17 raises from button.....
Just call. You can try and re-raise if you're being tricky and you think he's on a steal. But A call and a lead out of half the pot may accomplish the same thing. If he calls you're re-raise pre-flop, then you're done with the hand unless you hit the monster.

4. KJos on button, 32/24 raises from CO.....
Just call. It's another trouble hand looking for a straight or two pair. I like to keep the pots small on hands like this. The good news is that you have position on him, but the bad news is that you just called his preflop, so he'll most likely lead out a bet that you'll have to either call or re-raise to try and take it away. I expect a continuation bet here on the flop from most players. Re-raise the continuation bet and if he comes over the top, then you're done with the hand. If he calls, then most likely you'll get a free card and see the river card for the price of you're re-raise.

5. 88 on button, 32/24 raises from CO.....
call and hope to hit the set. Great implied odds that will be denied if you re-raise and he comes over the top. You'll be forced to fold. If you hit your set, you'll be last to act with possibly some money in the pot. If you think the original raiser is bluffing, then it's a case where I would re-raise but that's the only time. Use your reads.

6. AQs on CO, 18/12 raises from UTG.....
call. Only re-raise with AQs if you think the guy utg is loose and doesn't play position. The range for raising utg is quite narrow unless playing against a short stack or someone that has a weakness for face cards, weak aces, or small pairs. You're looking for a flush here and it's pretty certain there will be some money in the pot if you get a nice piece of it. Just call and use your position to evaluate. Just remember that hitting your ace or queen is n't a guarantee that you're ahead. A raise utg usually represents something like TT-AA, AK, AQ.

7. 99 on BB, 24/17 raises from button....
I think this is a re-raise hand based on the range of hands that can come at you from the button. But if he comes over the top, be prepared to let it go. I can justify a simple call here as well.

8. 45s on button, 24/17 raises from the CO....
fold because you don't have the implied odds to play this hand. I like playing 45s with 3 limpers and i'm in position. But a raise and you have to let it go unless you're in an optimal situation where you're getting nice pot odds. For instance, there's a raise after you call...the blinds call and the 3 limpers in front of you call...you're last to act and you call.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:24 AM

Do not reraise with any of these.