Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Annie Duke... And Won Millions

I recently read Annie Duke’s biography (alright it was on sale for 8 bucks so give me a break!)

There was a little poker strategy section in the back and one little part has me puzzled.

She starts off by stating that the more chips you have in a tournament, the less each is worth because of the payout structure, etc. So a smaller stacks chips are worth more per chip than a bigger stack’s.

Ok, I understand this concept well and I have no problems with that.

But then she claims because of this, you should be gambling more when you have lots of chips. She further states that it is ok to take draws where you normally would not do because of the negative EV, since your chips do not have as much value when you are large.

What?

This is contradictory to what I remember seeing published in 2+2. IIRC, if you have a large stack you should NOT be looking to gamble with a small stack. If you’re in a coin-toss, the value you win is less than the value you lose. When the short stack doubles up through you, the value of his chips decreases less than the value of yours.

Thus the larger stack is getting the worst of it when gambling around in these tosses.

Someone else want to comment, clarify?