Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 06:42 PM

Default 1/2 stud8- typical KK mess

Villain is a live one. I just saw him "defend" his BI with (K3)5 against a UTG complete from obvious KK, then peel 4th after catching a T (is it even peeling when you have no draw?)

He can easily have split 9s or 2 low cards in the hole here. Maybe I save a bet by bet/folding 6th but then I am throwing away half the pot when he has a low. Presumably there is an actual good way of playing this hand from 6th, but I don't know what it is. Can somebody please enlighten me?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (3.20 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.60 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (4.60 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (6.60 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (8.60 BB)
Old 08-10-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: 1/2 stud8- typical KK mess

[ QUOTE ]
Presumably there is an actual good way of playing this hand from 6th

[/ QUOTE ]

You're playing split kings in stud/8, so no, there isn't. In a spot like this you just have to play it this way and take the RIO hit.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 PM

This player simply plays bad, and because of that, I think you need to call him down. There's no way that you can read him for a made low, and the A on his board was the case Ace, so he couldn't have made a pair of AA which should be a huge sigh of relief for your KK.

I may have even bet into him on 6th street (I don't think you lose too much either way, to be honest. I actually prefer to play a little bit more cautious against a new opponent even if he's a live one).

And, If he has you beat well then good for him, but until he proves himself otherwise, he gets paid off.

Also, I normally wouldn't advocate playing the high pairs in stud8, but, I think you found yourself one of those rare spots where it was the right play. Everyone folds accept for the bad player with the 9 doorcard? Easy raise, imo.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 PM

You shouldn't be aggressive with split kings in stud 8. It plays much different that stud hi. I personally would maybe call on third only because you are hoping to split the pot at best in the end so why even bother risking him hitting split 9's or a low straight?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't be aggressive with split kings in stud 8. It plays much different that stud hi. I personally would maybe call on third only because you are hoping to split the pot at best in the end so why even bother risking him hitting split 9's or a low straight?

[/ QUOTE ]
I will often just fold split kings on 3rd, but the raise seems standard here with only a 9 limping and the bringin the only player to act.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:24 PM

I am the world's biggest 3rd st big pair nit and look for any excuse to fold them, but these guys at 1/2 who limp/call split 9s and Ts when raised by overcards are just handing you money on a plate. I am not hoping to split the pot, I'm hoping to scoop by getting heads up against a worse high hand.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 PM

you played it fine, folding on 3rd would be ludicrous in this situation. just call it down from 6th, no other way to play it.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I will often just fold split kings on 3rd, but the raise seems standard here with only a 9 limping and the bringin the only player to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

/agree. Although a 9 up doesnt mean the player has a weak hand, the fact that they didn't raise almost always means your kings are best. You also have a ton of club blockers out. Kings are solid in heads up pots unless the other player has aces or trips, and that isn't happening here.

You're not playing for a split; you're playing for a scoop, and you've got a good hand to do so.

If he catches the case ace or pairs up on the river, that just proves you played the hand well. No worries.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This player simply plays bad, and because of that, I think you need to call him down. There's no way that you can read him for a made low, and the A on his board was the case Ace, so he couldn't have made a pair of AA which should be a huge sigh of relief for your KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I missed something, there is still one ace left that he could hit, or have had in the hole to begin with. Doesn't mean hero should necessarily give up though.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:44 PM

You played it fine.

Most reasonable players are overwhelmingly likely to have started with a 3-low/2-flush in the 9's spot. So I think there is an excellent chance he is just betting a low on 6th and you are in solid shape. (Because he can't have paired the A yet in this case.)

The fishier he is the more likely it is he has aces up or something, but I still wouldn't worry about that enough to fold.

(Also I think people in this forum are way too hard on big overpairs in stud 8, but that's another matter.)