Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Stud H/L (HORSE tourney)???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But wtf are you doing on 3rd street with this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was last to act (w/ Ace showing) with the bring-in and flat-call w/7 showing in front of me...

[/ QUOTE ]
Typical donkament player. Ace door card is the nuts. You know the 7 is calling the complete and would have completed without an ace to act. Why get involved with a junk hand hoping to catch something or intimidate everyone to fold with your door card? It is not going to be easy to get the 7 to fold, and you often put in a lot of bets with nothing. If it was folded to you, then OK to try to steal with the ace.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it was folded to you, then OK to try to steal with the ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was folded to me w/ the door7 limping and the bring in's dead money in the pot...watch who the [censored] you call a donkament player kid
Old 11-09-2007, 04:12 PM

What was your bet on 3rd intended to accomplish?
* Did you expect the limper and the bringin to both fold, winning the pot outright? (a real problem with stud/8 is that the bringin isn't as likely to have a crap hand that he must fold here as he is in stud hi or razz)
* Do you think you have the best hand here, or a hand that is likely to be good for the full pot?
* Are you hoping to induce a fold on 4th or 5th when you catch well?

I'm interested in what your plan on 3rd is, because it will affect the way this hand plays out, greatly. Personally, I think betting 3rd is a semi-bluff at best.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it was folded to me w/ the door7 limping and the bring in's dead money in the pot...watch who the [censored] you call a donkament player kid

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not a kid and I am primarily a NLHE donkament player myself. Was being funny and making a point. Didn't mean to insult you.

The 7 limped because he expected a raise from the ace. It is not much of a sign of weakness. He isn't folding 3rd. It's possible you can steal the pot later if he bricks his low draw or whatever, but the 7 almost certainly has a better hand than you do.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm interested in what your plan on 3rd is,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought player X w/7 door card would complete if he had an ace in the hole, so with my ace in the door I was representing a hand that had hsi low crushed, I'm also representing a strong hand so that if he brick on 4th (or maybe even 5th) he'll throw his hand away

I lack experience in Stud H/L obv....
Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not a kid and I am primarily a NLHE donkament player myself. Was being funny and making a point. Didn't mean to insult you.

The 7 limped because he expected a raise from the ace. It is not much of a sign of weakness. He isn't folding 3rd. It's possible you can steal the pot later if he bricks his low draw or whatever, but the 7 almost certainly has a better hand than you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's cool man...I'm still steaming about this hand, busted 20th out of 136 (16 places paid)
Old 11-09-2007, 04:57 PM

Ace in the door or not, your hand is crippled. Why play six-card stud when everyone around you is playing seven-card stud?

Fold this turkey on third street, and you don't have a tough later-street decision.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:59 AM

There are rare situations, against extremely tight players, where you can raise with nice upcards and generally get them to fold on 3rd or 4th. Unless you have a very good specific read on this player, it is a bad idea to attempt this type of play.
The raise on 5th is a good idea, villain has two pair and will call your raise and check to you on a later street.
6th is fine, although I was skeptical about it. If villain has one pair somehow then you aren't giving him a free card; don't expect a fold though if you're beat.
7th is almost certainly throwing money away by betting, but its not as much as it seems because villain will bet after you check a reasonable amount of the time.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:01 PM

I actually don't know if 3rd is that bad given the position. AQ3 with a 2-flush As and Qs live is not that much worse a hand than 3 low cards or a low pair with a low card, which is probably what the 7 has. The raise is typical donkament style, trying to bully with the ace door card. The standard play is to fold. I kind of like a limp behind better than a raise.

On 4th, you caught good, but you are still semibluffing, and you got two callers on 3rd, so I might just check/fold.

On 7th, I would check/fold. Villain called on 4th when he caught a high card and you caught a low card, so he probably started with a pair and had kings up. Villain is not folding, and probably is not betting a weaker high than yours.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:19 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but third is a fold. The guy with the Seven has a hand that he's going to play, so you have no fold equity. I wouldn't even limp in for the bring-in. AQ3 isn't mentioned anywhere in Ray Zee's book for a reason.

On fourth, you've got a weakish hand with some potential. Your opponents are offering you a free card. Take it.

Fifth is definitely worth a raise in a cash game. The other guy likely only has the Kings. In a tournament situation where you're a little low on chips but not yet desperate, I might just call, but I still lean towards raising.

The bet on sixth is fine. The bet on the river is unspeakably horrible. He's not calling with one pair. I mean, you'll see some rube do that once in a blue moon, and I even did it myself in a $40/80 game once, but even complete morons will almost always fold on the river when they're beaten on board. He's not folding two pair, and he's not folding a low. Your bet can only lose. Check and hope he checks behind.