Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Teacher student situation at college

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just today one of my friends had something quite odd happen to him at a pretty well respected university that he attends. From what I understand, he was sitting in class while the instructor was lecturing and had his textbook open and was looking at it. Supposedly the teacher asks the class a question and while waiting for someone to answer it, she glances over, sees my friend looking in his book and assumes he isn't paying attention. She throws a piece of chalk across the room which grazes his cheek and hits the blackboard behind him. He asks the instructior if she just threw chalk at him and she says something to the effect of yes because you weren't paying attention. He then left the class without saying anything else and reported it to campus security who took down a report and will apparently will take it to the dean on Monday (because of the thanksgiving break).

Has something similar ever happened to anyone here? What kind of legal action, if any, could be taken? He now has to wait the entire weekend to figure this out and he his wondering what is going to happen. All replies are appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friend sounds like the lamest dude ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just today one of my friends had something quite odd happen to him at a pretty well respected university that he attends. From what I understand, he was sitting in class while the instructor was lecturing and had his textbook open and was looking at it. Supposedly the teacher asks the class a question and while waiting for someone to answer it, she glances over, sees my friend looking in his book and assumes he isn't paying attention. She throws a piece of chalk across the room which grazes his cheek and hits the blackboard behind him. He asks the instructior if she just threw chalk at him and she says something to the effect of yes because you weren't paying attention. He then left the class without saying anything else and reported it to campus security who took down a report and will apparently will take it to the dean on Monday (because of the thanksgiving break).

Has something similar ever happened to anyone here? What kind of legal action, if any, could be taken? He now has to wait the entire weekend to figure this out and he his wondering what is going to happen. All replies are appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friend sounds like the lamest dude ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 11:57 PM

C'mon, I'm one of the most "no violence" guys out there. Use your words for god's sake.

But this has to be the most pathetic thing ever. Here, pick up the chalk, throw it back, laugh about it, move on.

Cody
Old 11-22-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't heard the teachers side of the story. The truth is almost undoubtedly somewhere in the middle between students rendition and teachers.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:34 AM

Couldnt he just have humiliated the teacher a little bit like the teacher was trying to humiliate him? Turnabout is fair play and all that. If he really WAS paying attention, then say so and demand the teacher asks you some reasonable question about what she was just saying to prove you were paying attention. If he really wasnt paying attention, just politely ask her not to throw things at you in the future, thank you very much. I'm sure he could have thought of a dozen other things that would have embarrassed her or whatever.

That or he could just laugh it off. Maybe throw some chalk at her the next time she is droning on endlessly?

If I needed another reason to pile on to the thousands I already have not to ever go to non-mandatory class for any reason, I guess I'd add this one but maybe not.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:30 AM

I feel like I'm the only one that thinks the teacher is out of line. I agree the kid sounds like a bitch and shouldn't even think about pressing charges. If it happened to me I'd probably laugh about it and welcome the opportunity to throw it back.

But still, this isn't high school where everyone knows each other and is used to joking around with each other and stuff. You never know how someone is going to react. And the point of being there is to get an education, which you're paying a lot of money for. I just can't imagine a professor in one of my classes chucking a piece of chalk at someone. I dunno, it just seems bizarre.

For me a lot would depend on the feel of the situation, and whether it seemed like the teacher was just trying to have fun or if she lost her cool about something irrelevant. The fact that some people might react like Vince's pussy friend and not like it very much is exactly why professors should probably stay professional. It's sort of like when you hear Michael Richards go on a racial tirade. Personally I think it's ridiculous to be personally offended by that sort of thing. But at the same time, you just scratch your head and wonder why he could lose his cool like that, and the fact that he did does still reflect poorly on him.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:57 AM

This guys stands absolutely no chance in life if he's this much of a little bitch.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I feel like I'm the only one that thinks the teacher is out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's just that there are responses to others being out of line that don't involve being a whiny bitch.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:17 AM

Sounds like your friend would be a lot less likely to have his feelings hurt taking internet classes. He should petition the dean to complete his degree online.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I feel like I'm the only one that thinks the teacher is out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's just that there are responses to others being out of line that don't involve being a whiny bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that I agree with.

I guess I just respond more to a professor at a supposedly good college being unprofessional than a college kid being a whiny bitch.