Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

sledg,

Have you ever played play money? Too much folding is not what makes the players bad..
Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
quirkasaurus,

what reasons did your mom name for disapproving so much of your marriage?

Also, not sure if i agree with you blaming you mom for your father's position on it, but meh, obv you know the situation a million times better.

[/ QUOTE ]

well.... we were a little young; i was 19, bride was 17.
she wasn't pregnant, but boy was she a little blonde hottie.

my mom wanted me to marry a ditzy, air-headed, social
butterfly -- not a brooding, thoughtful, hippy-ish free spirit.

my dad was very supportive of my relationship with my
girlfriend for 2 years. maybe he thought the marriage
was pre-mature or ill-advised but to this day, i felt
their reaction to it was way over-the-top and i could
not imagine treating my children the same way.

however, during the same time, my mom openly hated my
girlfriend and accused her of stealing dope from my
brother's car ( turned out it was the nextdoor neighbor ),
called her "the neighborhood sult" ( even though I was
her one-and-only ), and assorted other slams...

so, yeah, i blamed my mom for my dad's change of heart.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 AM

Damn. How long have you been married?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:31 PM

- Once he was driving through a built-up area, and a cat ran out from one of the driveways and right under the wheels of the car (FWIW he would never do this on purpose, I can remember many times where we've made some mad swerves to avoid foxes, rabbits, pheasants, grouse etc). He gets out to see how the cat is, which is dead. (BTW it's a criminal offense here in the UK to not report killing a dog, but it's fine to not report killing a cat). He gets the cat by the scruff of the neck and walks up to the house it had run out from and knocks on the door. An old lady answers it and he asks "Is this your cat?" She just stands there shocked, so he assumes yes, puts the cat down and walks off. What else can you do though?

- On three occasions I've heard him say to people absolutely convincingly, "If you don't leave/ do X again...I'm going to [censored] kill you." He's only about 5'7'' but I've seen men considerably taller and muscular back down to him. He was always quite distressed that I had witnessed him saying this (being around 4-10), and said that he hadn't meant it but said that you had to talk in these people's language. The swearing was definitely more what he meant than the death threat since swearing was (and still is) absolutely forbidden in our house.

- He once fell in a canal on a drunk night out. Whenever he tells this story it is always about how he nearly died, and how he saw the Grim Reaper on the bank of the canal beckoning to him as he thought he would die. Whenever his friends tell this story (those who were there) it's always about how funny it was that he'd fallen in.

- Last summer I went to the Lake District with my friends planning on climbing mountains all day. It was extremely hot though (about 35 celsius) and I got sun burnt really badly and had to come home the next day. I caught a bus into a small town, Penrith, to get the train home but I didn't have enough money for it, so I phoned home and asked for a lift. When I said "I'm in Penrith" to my Dad, he just burst out laughing for about 5 minutes. There is a scene in his favourite film (which we have seen around 50 times in the last 3 years) where a character repeatedly says "I'm in Penrith...Penrith!" on the phone because nobody has heard of it. He eventually did travel cross-country to pick me up.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn. How long have you been married?

[/ QUOTE ]

over 25 years. 4 kids.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:09 PM

My dad was never really awesome when I was growing up, but now that I'm older I see that we actually have a great deal in common and I think he'd be one of my friends if he wasn't my dad. He always takes an interest in what I'm doing, is really funny in a dry scots way, and is very, very clever.

When I was about 13 he came home in a brand new Lotus Elise, and hadn't told me about it beforehand. That was like the coolest thing in the world.

According to my mother he used to get mistaken for Sean Connery but I don't believe that for a second.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 PM

My dad was in Nam when I was born. He needed a bit of cash for himself while out there, so he used to keep his entire military paycheck, and hustle pool to support me. He sent all his winnings home to mom.

He never let me beat him at anything. He was a really good bowler, all state baseball player (looked at by several MLB teams) good at pool, darts, etc. Since he never let me win at anything I always tried my best to beat him (and it didn't happen often when I was young) but when I did win, I felt awesome about it because it was quite an accomplishment for me.

He never said no when I asked him to play catch with me as a kid.

My dad is a "never break the rules" kinda guy... I always thought he was "prude".... but after mom and him got divorced, I was looking for something in his bedroom and found some edible sex paint he and his girlfriend were using to keep it "spicy"... ZOMG dad is a freak!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:57 PM

When I was a kid I got pissed about something and said "Jesus Christ" in front of my Mom. She told me that the next time she heard me take the lords name in vein, she'd make me read a book of the bible.

When I told my Dad, he suggested that I say Hugh Heffner instead.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:02 PM

Gordon Moore offered him a job in 1972. 6 chip/networking patents. 1 still recently cited by Xerox, Sony, Samsung, etc.

Taught me chess and poker and gin rummy [such a great game] and how to be a man, and power of compound interest, and how to throw a spiral, x-over dribble, hit a 180-yd fade.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:02 PM

When I was about 7 I got into my first fight and was sent to my room by my mother. She said wait until your dad gets home for your punishment. He came home came into my room acting all pissed off and then said "did you at least win" I told him I did and he said "good, or else you would be in trouble" that was so cool of him.

My father and I were never really close and one time he came home with tickets to go see the Steelers, our favorite team. Myself, my dad, and my brother all went, and after an awesome game, we ended up going to the Nudy bar because thats where a bunch of my friends were going after the game. This was so cool, me and my friends ended up putting some money together and got the strippers to bring my dad on stage. They took off his shirt, handcuffed his hands behind his back and beat the hell out of him with his belt. He was so embarrased, it was so damn fun, we were all wasted and he made us swear to never tell our mother.

A third story was about 4 years ago on St. Patricks day, I ended up getting into a bar fight and after defeating 7 guys with just the 3 of us kids that went out, I knew we were going to get into trouble. I saw one of the kids writing down our license plate number, so on the way home as we were pulling into our neighborhood, we saw about 4 police cars pulling into my neighborhood. We got our stories straightened out and I called my dad telling him what happened, adn that I might need bail money. He told me to come home and later that night the cops rang my doorbell and shined their lights into every window of my hosue for about 3 hours straight, we just sat on the ground in his room out of range of the windows, and just told funny stories and reminisced, it was definately a great father son moment that I will never forgot, he definately had my back that whole way.