Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 PM

Default AQ - Turn resistance. HATE to let it go...

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($19.10)
SB ($15.90)
BB ($6.15)
UTG ($9.80)
Hero ($10.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
BB calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.4</font>, Button calls $0.40, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.30) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, Button calls $1, BB folds.

Turn: ($3.30) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $2.

River: ($11.30) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $4.7</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $11.30

Villain is relatively unkown, only 18 hands with TAGish stats. How did I play this? Should I have let it go on the turn?
I was thinking of checking the turn for pot control since my hand isn't that great. Looks like my opponent might have been calling me with a QJ, or maybe AJ.

I know the fold on the river was the right move. Had I played this hand a month ago I would have probably went busto... I'm always going to be beat here correct?

Edit: I realized maybe I should have let this go on the turn? Or was it OK of me to call and reevaluate the river? I even called time when he raised me on the turn.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: AQ - Turn resistance. HATE to let it go...

18 hands it doesn't matter how tagish they are, you can just ignore them.The bet on river is really small so I think weaker aces can be in his range, don't think its always a J there if you do think so then fold on turn.I'd probably call that there.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:07 PM

You played well up to the turn when I think you should insta fold this one to a minr. I mean he is not playing an ace like that, he probably has a J or 99.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:09 PM

I'd fold to his min-raise on the turn but if you call you have to call his river bet, especially given how small it is.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
18 hands it doesn't matter how tagish they are, you can just ignore them.The bet on river is really small so I think weaker aces can be in his range, don't think its always a J there if you do think so then fold on turn.I'd probably call that there.

[/ QUOTE ]

See I thought it's possible he might have any Ace, and if he did then he outplayed me. But it just doesn't make sense that he would get so aggressive with any Ace...

Plus it was a minraise, not like a overbet to the pot...
Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold to his min-raise on the turn but if you call you have to call his river bet, especially given how small it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I folded the river was I realized that I made a big mistake calling the turn. And the 4.7 was the remainder of my chips (NL10)
Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 PM

On the turn I feel like at best you will be tied with him. With that being said, since you are OOP you are getting the worst of it, even though the pot is offering you better than 4-to-1 odds on your money. He will get the most money from your worse hands and he will lose the least money with his worst hands since you are OOP. So with that being said what hands do you think you beat or can catch up to on the river by calling the turn?

I feel like given this players stats that we are tied at best and we probably won't get to find out for cheap as he is going to bet the river after he raises the turn, and in fact he does. Folding turn seems fine for me but I am sure that some people will disagree given the odds.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I feel like at best you will be tied with him. With that being said, since you are OOP you are getting the worst of it, even though the pot is offering you better than 4-to-1 odds on your money. He will get the most money from your worse hands and he will lose the least money with his worst hands since you are OOP. So with that being said what hands do you think you beat or can catch up to on the river by calling the turn?

I feel like given this players stats that we are tied at best and we probably won't get to find out for cheap as he is going to bet the river after he raises the turn, and in fact he does. Folding turn seems fine for me but I am sure that some people will disagree given the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't looking at this mathematically because I'm almost sure that I would have been stacked in this situation. He was not a maniac, wasn't a loosey player. Yeah so I only had 18 hands on the guy but he wasn't playing like a maniac. Had about 18/12 with very little aggression.

I doubt it was a bluff since it was a min raise, so like you said at best I'm tied. Unless he outplayed me and did not put me on an Ace which was the cause for his raise? (not likely)
Old 11-27-2007, 01:36 PM

This is one of them OOP situations that i struggled with for a while but am finally getting to grips with.
Before i would (always) 2nd barrel turn and give up on river which is spewy, now i bet pot on flop and c/f turn if called.
In position however im gonna try my best to take control of this pot.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 PM

I'd fold the turn, your hand is basically as good as its going to get. When he min raises you on the turn you have to ask yourself if your going to call another bet on the river. Clearly the answer was no, I think the turn is a shove or fold and I really think its a pretty easy fold. On the turn when he raises you shold be deciding already if your willing to play for stacks.