Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: For Dissection....2008 Red Sox Roster........

So Lester used to have more on his fastball, like 95-96, probably why the better prospect debate with Paps. He got sick, maybe lost a bit, he was 92, but hit 94 vs. Rockies, and had that cutter hard and in on righties. He hasn't been that impressive overall, solid, but not great, running good. That's my understanding.

At 23? right, he could really be good, don't you think, if he can get the velocity up. Obviously, surviving cancer and winning game 4, got to give him perspective and confidence.

I always want teams to stand pat after winning it all, bring everyone back, maybe retool here or there. But that's not the best way long term, I know.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should review the starting line-up that I posted (with positions) a bit more closely before you jump to any more conclusions?

[/ QUOTE ]

So me asking a question, because I had forgotten about your lineup, is jumping to conclusions? I am pretty certain that me making an assumption is jumping to conclusions. Another example: 'That lineup must have been given 5 minutes of thought'

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Craig,

I don't mean to be harsh, but what else am I to think?

How could you have asked that question if you had done anything more than take a cursory glance at the lineup that I posted.

And, your smart-ass "5 minute" comment shows nothing more than your inability to think beyond the obvious.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
myrtle, you seriously need to think critically about these possibilities you are putting out there, you are spouting utter nonsense.

sox resign lowell AND get a-rod... and do what, exactly, with lugo? oh right, same thing they'll do with manny... dump him for 'prospects.' and probably end up eating half his salary. sounds great.

in the extremely unlikely scenario that they do get a-rod, they don't need to waive manny to do so. what they WOULD do is let mike lowell walk since he is going to get a way bigger deal than they should give him. the odds that both mike lowell and a-rod are on the sox next year are somewhere in the million-to-one ballpark, and that's being generous.

why manny would end up in new york is totally beyond me. yeah he's from wash heights (represent!) but the yankees don't let you wear dreadlocks, or bring your bath toys to left field with you, or take a piss in the middle of an inning, or do any of the other manny-being-manny crap. they also already have about seven over-the-hill outfielders and four DHs, so unless you think he's going to pitch i don't see what they're going to do with him.

lester's USPIDE is around a #3 starter, but if you are projecting him to be better than buchholz next year, or possibly even schilling / wake, you're high. he hasn't come close to pitching a full season, which is important with a developing young arm, and pretty much all his peripheral stats point to him running sick hot so far. i love the kid and i think he's going to be a good pitcher, but he's not a top-3 SP on the sox next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

NT, with respect……

I have thought critically about this.

This subject dwells in an arena that can best be described as….”If you think it, you can do it”, so please don’t tell me that it’s “un-doable”.

The only consideration that affects the above is…. “What is the cost/Is it worth it?”

A million to one on Lowell/A-Rod on the Sox? You’re on. Who holds my dollar, and who hold your megabuck?

If the lineup that I advanced comes to be, what is it about “dumping” Lugo and eating some of his salary that offends you?

If anything, it should offend me, as my season ticket box seats have jumped from $9 each in 1987 to $80 each in 2007, and are likely to increase again.

Did Damon lose the locks and facial hair when he hit The City?

Manny would play right field for the Bombers, methinks.

C’mon my friend, ya gotta get past first level thinking here (no insult intended).

We can certainly disagree on the projected worth of Lester. I’m not saying that I have a 100% crystal ball, but please examine the facts surrounding his history a bit more closely before you cap him at a #3 slot.

And once again, I would remind you that I am NOT advocating that this is what I would do if I were King of the Red Sox……I am saying that it is not unreasonable that it could go this way, given the craziness in today’s market and the specific current conditions (Yanks, Sox, Boras et al).
Old 10-31-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the Ortiz at 1B, Manny at DH, Youk at 3rd, Ellsbury/Crisp/Drew OF that Silver threw out today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this a lot too. Papi in his few short stints at 1B has never embarrassed himself. The big problem here though is health. He barely made it through this season with his bad knees just dh-ing.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the Ortiz at 1B, Manny at DH, Youk at 3rd, Ellsbury/Crisp/Drew OF that Silver threw out today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this a lot too. Papi in his few short stints at 1B has never embarrassed himself. The big problem here though is health. He barely made it through this season with his bad knees just dh-ing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can Hinske play 3b on Youk's off days? I would be ok with this, as long as Papi can come back strong after surgery.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Manny would play right field for the Bombers, methinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Manny would move from an easier position to a more difficult one. When he can barely cover the second-easiest defensive position in baseball already. Right. And this will all happen because Scott Boras is out there with his crazy machinations. Sure.

Myrtle I appreciate that you are a nice, patient guy about this, but you don't know a [censored] thing about baseball if you really think any of these things are remotely likely.

What 'offends' me about dumping Lugo and his salary is that management won't do it. They won't sink $350MM+ into a left side of the infield with an average age of 34, then eat another $30MM of Lugo's money when he's at a low point in his value and they'd have to beg somebody to take him. If they do all this and bring Schilling back next year, their payroll would be what, $180MM? What are you, a Yankees fan?

We just won a WS by being patient with our youth movement, bringing along our own draft picks and focusing on pitching. Now you want to immediately go out and spend a third of a [censored] billion dollars on overpriced veteran hitters?

Seriously, give up your season tickets, move to the [censored] Bronx and see if the Steinbrenners will let you sit in their box. You'd fit right in. Thank god Theo and the rest of the FO don't think the way you do, or we'd probably still have Pedro instead of Buchholz, Cabrera instead of Ellsbury, and Johnny Damon limping around the outfield.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can Hinske play 3b on Youk's off days? I would be ok with this, as long as Papi can come back strong after surgery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't Cora the ultimate utility guy. Youk isn't going to get many days off so back-up 3B should not be a big consideration.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:28 AM

I don't know how competent these guys are at playing 3B. I may be overestimating the change from SS/2B to 3B.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how competent these guys are at playing 3B. I may be overestimating the change from SS/2B to 3B.

[/ QUOTE ]

3B is easier than 2B or SS to play, but arm strength would be a consideration.

craig
Old 10-31-2007, 02:02 PM

hinske can play any of the corners, but i wouldn't count on him being around. cora can play 3B in a pinch.