-db-: bets 360
yellowsub86: calls 360
*** RIVER *** [Ad 9c Js Kc] [Ts]
yellowsub86: checks
-db-: bets 605 and is all-in
yellowsub86: folds
Old 07-29-2007, 04:55 AM

Default Re: 2200$ hu sng hand

not my area of expertise, but i like your line more than any of the alternatives. don't like a turn c/r with the stack sizes vs a solid player (don't know much about db's heads up game but hes been v good in the mtts ive seen him in).

bet/calling turn is a possibility, im honestly not too sure about it but that was my only thought aside from the line you took.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:26 AM

Standard. Because villain is so tight/solid, would fold turn if you hadn't picked up the flushdraw. have to call as is, and must fold river.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:34 AM

note that he bets fullpot on flop, that was weird, and i hadnt seen him do that yet in our matches

also, if this hand was played exactly the same, how light are we calling the river? if a8 is a fold, then are we calling w/ T9? KJ?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:58 AM

I hesitate to offer an exact range there, because db is good enough to vary his bets there based upon his villain's (your) play. It's been a while since i played headsup vs db to be honest, prolly a couple years since i played him some 1000s, but from what i remember, every time it looked like he was repping something unlikely (say, the straight here) and i called him down, he had it.

Based upon my read of him, pretty much any hand I hold that is not a straight that can call him, i pushed allin with on the turn anyways: aces up, a set, pair + flush/straight draw. Yes, I know what you're thinking, this is total trash from a game-theory standpoint and extremely exploitable: if he recognizes our strategy here he just pushes the river every time and racks up the EV. But from experience, when I've talked myself into calling him in the past based on that reasoning, I've always regretted it.

The bottom line is that pretty much everything he two barrels here has showdown value so there's no reason to make anything but a value bet. How thinly does he value bet here? anything below aces up?

maybe your experiences have been different, it's been a long time, and you have a different playstyle.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:10 AM

I'm relatively a calling machine, but against -db- who plays more solid/tight then the average HU player I'd be stuck folding here. The only possible suggestion would be to move in on the turn, but that's pretty scary and -db- probably has AQ here...
Old 07-29-2007, 06:11 AM

i 100% agree that AQ is by far the most likely hand for db here.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:21 PM

I think the turn decision is very marginal, that being said its basically a complicated math problem. You are going to have to discount some cards like 8's (Im assuming your playing river A's as well) because your implied odds on these cards against a strong range are negative. I also think the fact that he used a PSB on the flop makes it more likely that he has a stronger than average hand especially in combination with his turn bet. Your plan was to c/f all non A,8 or clubs, correct?

All in all I think its a well played hand.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your plan was to c/f all non A,8 or clubs, correct?

All in all I think its a well played hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

these two statements cannot coexitst
Old 07-29-2007, 01:51 PM

river is a relatively easy fold. turn is most interesting spot imo.

most people (im guilty of it too) see the NFD and the fact we have top pair HU here and call w/o much thought. Sub- do u think he ever checks a river? judging from results, unless he has AQ(which i disagree with others that it comprises a ton of his range. i think theres plenty of other hands he realizes are a push on the river after hero checks) it looks like hes shoving most rivs(?). in which case, if riv comes 2x and he shoves, you still fold right? obv then his ability to value bet push hands like AQ on river might change, but i do think db is capable of a push on a blank river after the passive line sub took. what im getting at, like some other posters were, is whether we should be turn calling here? with this analysis it seems the answer would be no- however there are other issues such as db's pure bluff frequency involved here. which i think is probably small, but who knows. theres many more factors that could aid in decision making here, but a lot obviously depends on your history as a whole and how hes been playin in this specific match, so you can answer these questions better than others.