Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Pokernews is FAR better than Cardplayer coverage ever was ...

The thing I dislike most about Pokernews coverage, is that I miss that genuine independent coverage of the event. By paying to be Harrah's designated media whore, we lost stories like the one's about bad structures, bad tent, etc... the most critical story from pokernews was the cards and the chips. I miss the Independent News Authority, not the paid PR arm of Harrahs.....
Old 07-16-2007, 11:43 AM

I have been following it on Poker News and Dr. Pauly's blog and here. I have noticed plenty of pointing out Harrah's problems and player's complaints. To get over 6000 players down to 9 is a large job. The side elements, Vinnie's chair, Eskimo's health, Phil's horrible, devastating car crash, the drunk crowds, and the pros falling like a row of dominoes have all added drama.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: To everyone bashing Pokernews

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just amazed we didn't get pictures of the final 27 or something. That is like basic basic and they failed miserably at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

right on. i've been annoyed at PN about this since the start of the series. cardplayer is definitely lacking in some areas of their coverage of events, but this isn't one of them.

the best photographs this year during the series were on pokerwire. heather did a fantastic job and took some amazing photographs, especially of me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2007, 12:14 PM

I would have thought there would be bios of the final nine but they played 16 hours of more. I am not even sure where they are from which makes for the drama and who you root for.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have thought there would be bios of the final nine but they played 16 hours of more. I am not even sure where they are from which makes for the drama and who you root for.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you go to an EPT finale, the staff has a printed bio of each final tablists that anyone can pick up. it's very odd pokernews doesn't have this up on their website. I just read an article on si.com which has more info than on pokernews
Old 07-16-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Pokernews is doing a very good job.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-16-2007, 12:47 PM

I think the poker news coverage got much better over the course of the series. There's only one thing I think they were really deficient in: there should be a way, at all times, to easily tell (about) how many players are left in an event. Cardplayer always had this, but Pokernews never did, until you got down to the final few tables.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:39 PM

My problem with pokernews isn't errors in some hands, or failure to get chip counts. We all have seen the orange sea of chips, and if you're trying to type out a hand description in under a minute mistakes happen. My complaint has been that the coverage has been inconsistent...it was quite good yesterday I thought. Each of the 2 days before, it seemed like they pretty much quit after the dinner break, posting 2-3 hands an hour and only bustouts. Hell, Bart's bustout didn't even get posted, someone found it on gutshot the next day. I think they've done a good job for most of the time, but lack of updates those 2 evenings were really frustrating. Oh, and BJ is obviously their best reporter and has done a great job. On night 5, they had him doing chip counts and other stats stuff, so that probably helps to explain the spotty nature of the hand reports...they didn't have their horse out there.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerNews has done a great job. What are you guys talking about? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-16-2007, 04:46 PM

How is PN setup to cover the ME? Is it a few roving reporters who do the chip counts and report on the hands and each one uploads their own stories and counts to the main site? Or is there an editor who takes their reports and counts and sends it to the site?

If I were setting this up and money/space was tight I would prioritize by hiring a couple or reporters (for the later stages of the ME) who would write the hand reports and an editor who would consolidate the reports, edit typos, and who would have an assistant (volunteer)who would make the actual postings. This isn't difficult to do with laptops and accessible accounts. Chip counters should be experienced and should be able to send their counts to another person (volunteer probabaly) who would consolidate them, have a spreadsheet with built in formulas to calculate the difference between them and the total # chips in play to see if they are off by major amounts) and some macros to highlight any counts that deviate from their previous ones by a certain percentage so they can spot decimal errors quickly and before they are uploaded.