Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Received response from Rep Carnahan (MO-D)

About 2 months ago I wrote a letter to my state representative. First time I've done this and really didn't expect a reply back. Well, I received one and was happy to read what it had to say.

<QUOTE>

Dear Mr. Hoyle,

Thank you for contacting me in regard to H.R. 2046. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know H.R. 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007, establishes an Internet Gambling Licensing Program administered and enforced by the Director of the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.

Currently, this bill has been referred to the Committee of Financial Services and the Committee on Energy and Commerce. However, no further action has been taken. It may please you to know that I am a cosponsor of this bill. Should this bill come before the full House for a vote, please know that it will receive my support.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future if I can be of further assistance on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,
Russ Carnahan
Member of Congress

</QUOTE>

His comment about being a cosponsor of the bill suprised me, I've never seen his name listed as a cosponsor. Still, thought you guys would like to read the response.

I've included my original letter below. I borrowed a few sentences from some of you on the forum and threw in my own couple sentences about the history of poker.

<QUOTE>

Friday, May 4th, 2007

Congressman Russ Carnahan,

This is the first time I've felt strongly enough about an issue to write my Representative.

I request your support of House Resolution 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007, which has been introduced by Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts. This resolution would legalize and regulate internet poker at the Federal level and has gained 11 co-sponsors.

Poker has a long American tradition. It was originally introduced to America in New Orleans in the early 1800's. The game spread throughout the country via Mississippi Riverboat and was carried West during the Gold Rush. Since then, Poker has become one of the great American pastimes. Presidents, generals, Supreme Court Justices, members of Congress and many common Americans enjoy the game.

I have been an avid poker player for the past 4 years and was very disappointed when the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) was passed in October last year. House Resolution 2046 calls for a licensing program that will ensure safeguards are in place to prevent underage and compulsive gambling as well as taking steps to prevent money laundering and fraud while generating tax revenue for our federal and state governments.

I hope that you will support H.R. 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007

Thank you for your consideration,
Aaron Hoyle

</QUOTE>
Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Received response from Rep Carnahan (MO-D)

this is good to hear. Every little bit counts. Btw your letter was very well written as well.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His comment about being a cosponsor of the bill suprised me, I've never seen his name listed as a cosponsor.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not unusual for a bill to have dozens of cosponsors. H.R. 2046 has 28 cosponsors so far.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Russ Carnahan is also my rep! (I live in St. Louis.) I contacted him about this a couple of month ago. I'm glad he is on our side!