Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Default KQ turn spot

Villain is standard 39/12/1.2 moron

stars $15/$30 Limit Hold'em - 6 players
Converted by DeucesCracked.com

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, MP folds, CO folds, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.67 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.33 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#FF0000">BB raises</font>

% of time you call down
% of time you 3 bet the turn
% of time you call and raise most rivers

If you 3 bet, how do you handle a cap?
Old 06-15-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: KQ turn spot

If you don't have a history, I'd probbly call the turn, and raise most blanky rivers, but just call against "scare cards" like a diamond, an 8 or an A.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:57 PM

I'd guess 90% 3bet and 10% raise river here but I probably don't wait to raise the river enough. Calling down is never part of the plan but if I was going to wait to raise the river I might just call 8/A/diamond. I might raise anyway but I wouldn't be thrilled about it.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 PM

I'm pretty sure I'd never 3bet turn vs. this dude. A cap leads u to either put in 4 bets w/out showing down or 5 &amp; always showdown the loser.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:20 PM

90% call down and 8% 3-bet and 2% raise river.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:17 PM

i call and raise the river on a blank fairly often vs this type of player, it lets them lose the max bluffing without having good implied odds (since i just call a flush card) vs if i 3bet now they end up playing the river better with drawing hands.

folding to the cap also sucks if u 3bet the turn, altho i have called down and won/chopped w/ KQ here before the few times ive 3bet against a total spazz. The turn 3bet i think has thin enough value here its worth just passing it up to make the hand play much more easier, plus its good for our poker soul to not give ourselves such headaches if the more aggro play is of questionable value to begin with and we have no idea exactly how to respond there after.

vs most players i just calldown here
Old 06-15-2007, 11:14 PM

if you raise the river he is never bluff re-raising you, ever.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:14 PM

Call down 100% of the time here.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I'd never 3bet turn vs. this dude. A cap leads u to either put in 4 bets w/out showing down or 5 &amp; always showdown the loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is a breath of fresh air. Never 3betting the turn vs this guy is the correct answer. Not call down 93.4%, 3bet 5.7% and call raise a blank river 1.9%. There is just not enough information given in the orginal post to do anything but call down UI.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:59 PM

ILP, there is plenty of information available: the strength of your hand for that board, the general tendency of players in that game to overplay weaker hands vs. their tendency to wait for the turn to check/raise with their very strong hands. One reason I (and probably most of us) can't answer this question that well is that we don't have access to a lot of the peripheral info that was available to BK.

Often, if it is close I take a cautious approach and just showdown here without a further raise. Sometimes, I use very marginal clues to put in one more aggressive action. It could be something as obvious as seeing check/raise second pair on the turn before to seeing him fastplay a flopped two pair earlier.

I think your standard for information is way too high here. Yes, it would be nice if we had played 1000 hands versus this guy and watched each one carefully, and then it would be obvious what to do. But it wouldn't take a whole lot of information for me to suspect this player would play almost all Kx hands like this, and if that were the case I would definitely be looking to put in another raise on most rivers.