Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 01-30-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: astroglide\'s home theater: what i own, what i would buy today

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really surprised that you're talking about burn-in on plasma. Do you disagree with the conventional wisdom that it isn't an issue anymore with newer models.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the effects are dramatically overstated. you're not going to blow up your television by playing a video game, etc. but i have seen enough slightly smoked sets in-person to have lingering concerns about 4:3 black boxes, since i refuse to stretch. the bottom line for me is that a 0.25% or whatever chance of burn-in is too great when i get just as easily get 0.0%. it's the same thing as the dlp rainbows, not many people see them but i can avoid the risk entirely. i will take impossible over extremely unlikely if it's reasonable.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:00 PM

boro,

We just built a house and had all the crap pre wired I think. No wires in the bedroom that i remember but the DVD player is just laying on the floor. Our bedroom is intentionally small no way we could have fit an entertainment center of any sort in there.

In the family room we just ordered a cabinet for all the stuff just sitting on the floor right now. I think it was 4'tall, 3' wide and 22" deep and will just sit under the wall mounted TV. I think this will look much better than having an actual massive entertainment center.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will probably be going flat panel in the living room this year for the same reason. We have a regular TV in an entertainment armoir type thing, and it looms like a frigging refrigerator in my living room. It annoys me more and more every day. Just typing this has made me want to go TV shopping.

[/ QUOTE ]

i abhor built-ins, cabinets, etc. the more enclosed spaces, the more i hate them. i've run into that before. somebody's talking about hdtvs, they don't know their viewing distance, they have a lot of disposable income...but they can't exceed 37" because they have to maintain compatibility with their built-in. i would rip anything out of my house, wall, or whatever if it was preventing me from making complete decisions about what i buy. to me it's like somebody having a tiny garage and saying they want the best new car they can buy except it can't be any larger than a toyota yaris. i'd rather buy what i want and park it on the street.

you seem to be implying that you'll get rid of your setup, which is cool. i'm not at all directing this at you, it's just a rant. i've always been a flat desk, open shelving kind of guy.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:16 PM

It's cool. It's just that my psychological makeup has drifted over the 6 or so years since we got this entertainment armoir thing. The wife picked it out, and I didn't really make a fuss about it. But in the intervening years I have really become minimalist and anti-clutter in home furnishings. I really prefer open space. If you can believe it, it's one of the reasons I really enjoy dancing and taking and teaching dance classes. Just a big empty space with beautiful hardwood floors. So I'm really into cathedral ceilings, open second stories, open floor plans that move through most of the living space, low clean furniture lines, and electronics on/in the walls. I hate feeling compressed by the walls and "stuff" in a room, especially where I live.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM

oh, i'm with you. when i bought my condo it was in okay condition, but i did a lux-lite makeover of the entire thing. part of my design ethic in the guest bathroom was that there couldn't be any enclosures: no cabinets, no drawers, etc. if all of the clutter is forced out into the open, it seems like it is less likely to happen. and i just totally hate it when misc screws, bottles of cleaning products, etc are simply thrown into a cabinet and never touched again. so the guest bathroom has a pedestal sink with a flat cultured stone top and an open shelf. i went with glass cabinets over the "bar" in my kitchen for similar reasons. i would have taken the idea further if i didn't think it would harm resale value. i'm sure most people are going to want cabinets and drawers in the master bathroom, etc.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 PM

Great thread idea. I have the exact same stand for my setup.

Top row: Sony VHS VCR; DirecTV HR-20 DVR; Xbox360 with HD-DVD add-on
Bottom row: Pioneer double cassette deck; Pioneer DVD player (480p output); Panasonic DVD-Recorder; Playstation 2; Denon AVR-2805 receiver

Speakers: Vandersteen 2Ce
Subwoofer: SVS PB-10.

Remote: Home Theater Master MX-700

The only upgrades I want to make now is a new DVD player (probably the Oppo 981).

Wishlist: TSU7000 remote control; Denon AVR-2807 receiver (same as mine, but with DVI switching); Surround sound system (undecided); Playstation 3

Old 01-30-2007, 06:05 PM

I remember a while ago posting in OOT for advice on DVD and a sound system. You recommended what you have, and as a result bought both. I am very happy with both purchases, the DVD player is very nice. The sound system is ok,although even on surround it doesnt feel like surround, but for the purchase price I am happy. So thank you for the recommendation, it has worked out well.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:06 PM

Your post just made me think of an awesome quote from a decision by Justice Brandeis: "Sunlight is the best of disinfectants." It's so true. Anything that you can see is less likely to get messed up. Agree 100% on having no enclosures anywhere. Look how nice the bush stand looks in the pic on the site. That looks 1000x better than a closed cabinet door with a trashy setup behind it.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 PM

gusmahler,

Get that mirror out from behind your system!

Otherwise very nice setup.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:23 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i consider myself an educated consumer, not an expert, but i am completely satisfied with the products i'm using.

TELEVISION
own now: sony kdf-60xs955
would buy: sony kds-60a2000

[/ QUOTE ]

A $4000 TV.

[ QUOTE ]

HOME THEATER IN A BOX
own now: onkyo ht-s580
would buy: onkyo ht-s590

[/ QUOTE ]

A $400 audio system.

Something seems off here.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

more or less weird: i have the 50" version of that TV (its unbelievably awesome, btw) hooked up to a ~$2k stereo audio system rather than surround sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

2k stereo audio system specs? anyone here use McIntosh stuff? My TV setup downstairs is a 32 inch samsung hd, hooked to a 1978 Marantz 1060b, hooked to KEF C40 speakers. I've never been able to turn the Marantz past 40% as when i got to 35 the neighbors came over immediately to complain [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]