Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2006, 05:09 AM

Default Likely teaching Math (grades 6-12 possible) - wanting to brush up

Hi there. Here's a little background on my situation. I recently graduated with a B.S. in Finance, and have decided to teach high school. I have some opportunites in place, and I am about to take the state certification (temporary)exam. After getting this temporary certification, I plan on getting a B.S. in Mathematics and go from there. I am obtaining a certification to teach Mathematics (grades 6-12). I took up through Calculus 2 in College, but I feel I need to brush up on the basics: Algebra up through Calculus. Does anyone know of some good books or websites that they can point me towards? Books would be great largely because of the numerous examples that I could work out, and websites are simply convienient for obvious reasons.

If it helps, I will be teaching in Florida.

Thanks.

Acehawk
Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Likely teaching Math (grades 6-12 possible) - wanting to brush up

Florida doesn't require a degree in Education to teach in public school?

Anyway, I would suggest going to your local university bookstore and finding an Algebra textbook to work through.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:01 PM

I really doubt that there is any need to go back and study Algebra. Pretty much anything you would need to teach HS should be second nature. The only things you might need to remember are you basic Trig Identities and Matrix Multiplication.

If you just graduated school then I'm sure you can find a friend who still has their Calculus textbook.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Florida doesn't require a degree in Education to teach in public school?

Anyway, I would suggest going to your local university bookstore and finding an Algebra textbook to work through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gmontag,

Florida requires you to have a bachelors degree from an accredited university. If you don't have an education degree, you can apply for a temporary certificate. To get that certificate, you must pass a competency exam within the subject area that you wish to teach. Once you earn the certificate, you have three years to meet the requirements for a permanent professional teaching certificate. These requirements can be met by either obtaining a degree in the subject of your choice, or other methods. There is also a mentor program within the system that helps new teachers get aquainted with basic education principles, as well as help them learn how to "teach" etc... It's quite a decent system actually. Thanks for your input and suggestion.

Ace
Old 05-11-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really doubt that there is any need to go back and study Algebra. Pretty much anything you would need to teach HS should be second nature. The only things you might need to remember are you basic Trig Identities and Matrix Multiplication.

If you just graduated school then I'm sure you can find a friend who still has their Calculus textbook.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nottom,

Yeah I'm not concerned with the algebra so much, but I figured it couldn't hurt to tackle it simply to guarantee that I have it down. I'll likely check the college bookstore, as most of my friends look at math and cringe. Thanks for the tips.

Ace
Old 05-12-2006, 10:21 AM

You would be much better off getting copies of the textbooks your school uses. By working through those problems you'll learn the material but also get familiar with the layout of the book, curriculum ideas, potential unclear chapters.

Krishan