Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: November General Thread

[ QUOTE ]

I think an analogy can be made to pretty much any field where expertise results in money. In my line of work (quantitative finance), the people generally have backgrounds in math/physics/CS and are constantly working on interesting theoretical problems as they relate to the financial markets. But there is no way in hell we are sharing any of our results with anyone, since every other market participant is a competitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

who do you work for? need an intern?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it me or has their been a slight resurgence in LHE lately?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked on stars and saw that there were ~110k players online. This number is comparable to Party in it's heyday, so I was wondering how come there are only 6-8 tables of 15/30+ 6max going. If there are the same number of players online, what happened to all the midstakes action?

Then I counted the 60ish 2/4 and 3/6 6max NL tables currently running.

I think the trickle-up economy of limit holdem is still in a serious downturn. With only like 10 10/20 and 15/30 tables going at any given time, there aren't enough bad players that will run hot there, win a bunch, then move up.

There used to be thousands of poor-playing regular lower mid-stakes players, and hundreds of them who ran hot for 3 or 4 weeks would go on to become losing 30/60+ players.

I don't think there can possibly be any real resurgence unless you start seeing a shitton of soft lower-midstake games going 24/7.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:06 AM

hey what happened to Picula (sp) aka meddling mage
Old 11-03-2007, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no its secret withholding

arrogance, boredom and ego are the only reasons the forums have any input from great players

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in 95% agreeance with you Gherig. However, I think there are some folks in this world who genuinely enjoy sharing with others.

Best,
Bill
Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think there can possibly be any real resurgence unless you start seeing a shitton of soft lower-midstake games going 24/7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think much of the problem is related to the demographics of the casual LHE player i.e. old-school US poker players, and that the legislation affected the dynamic of LHE (and stud etc.) much more than other games, particularly because the casual players are more likely to be techno-phobic and not willing to jump through hoops in order to deposit. I would expect that if the US legislated, then we would observer a resurgence in LHE.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:13 AM

Yeah, a ton of old-schoolers are technophobic indeed.

I know several old timers who love to play poker and are total fish but when I tell them I play on the internet they flip out asking questions like "how do you know it's fair?" "how do you know your money won't just disappear?" etc.
I then explain to them that the poker rooms have a huge incentive to keep the games fair because of how much rake they're making and that if there were some indications that it isn't fair they'd lose a ton of revenue.
Then the very next time it comes up they ask the exact same questions like I'd never addressed them before...senile bastards [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Bill
Old 11-03-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, what a weird limit to have. Definitely should be 200/400 or 300/600. 250/500 just seems so weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have fond memories of 250/500 at Pokerroom
Old 11-04-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it me or has their been a slight resurgence in LHE lately?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its because some folks have figured out I'm back at a little-known online site givin' low-limit action.

TSP
Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 AM

Hi guys,

I dont want to spam your general thread so feel free to tell me that I am not welcome with that kind of posts [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway I am developing a software which can calculate EV of given strategies and I need beta testers for it.
I would accept people who are :
- math inclined
- are posters here for some time

In general the software can solve problems like : We have hand H, Villain has range X. We do bet/call flop and bet/3bet turn. He folds no pair no draw, raise any pair/any draw. On the turn he does X with hands Y, and X2 with hands Y2 etc etc. You can program any strategy and ask what is EV of that against any otehr given strategy.

PM me if you are interested in that.
Delete this post and PM me if I am not allowed to make such posts here (I emailed one admin but he never responded).

Take care,
punter
Old 11-14-2007, 05:52 PM

this xposted from msnl. im going to propose to a network tv company a poker-based reality tv show. if anyone has any interest, please pm me for details.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0&fpart=1

mods: feel free to delete if you have to