Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 AM

Default 1/2 Stud8 Iffy High vs Scary Boards

7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.20, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Vil 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Vil 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (4.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Vil 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Vil 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (6.20 BB)

Vil 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Vil 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (10.20 BB)

Vil 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Vil 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (14.20 BB)

Vil 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Vil 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (17.20 BB)

Thoughts:
3rd: Duh
4th: Looking back at it, raising looks bad. At the time I thought, open jacks guy had been calling the bringin every hand if it hadn't been raised, so JJJ isn't as likely as it should be. Also, I want to charge people going low to draw, as me having lotsa 2s should make it harder to finish one. Plus I wanted to thin the field to increase my chances of winning high unimproved when the other dude didn't have trips. I was confused and my default is bet/raise so that's what I did.
5th: Open jacks dude checked, which made me think I was ahead for high, I didn't want to give the guys going low free cards to take my half, and who knows, they may not have gotten there yet. Again, didn't know what to do and my default is bet/raise.
6th: Okay that dude has to have a low, and 2 pair on the board, while scary, I still think I'm ahead for high as the low guys are unconnecting, and playable hands with a J up without a J in them don't often have a 5. Also, if he had a boat he'd be raising to win more money from each of the 2 lows because he'd have it locked up with the fourth 2 on someone else's board.
7th: Ugh big pot, can't fold now. Please be morons and let me get half.

I'm fairly certain I butchered this on several streets, let me have it.

Thanks,
Velocity
Old 06-13-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: 1/2 Stud8 Iffy High vs Scary Boards

I'd raise 6th and raise river. The only thing you'd really lose half the pot to is if the JJ55 guy superslowplayed quad jacks. You do realize you have a full house right?
edit--I can't imagine if he had J's or 5's full he wouldn't at least raise the river himself.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 PM

Third: well played.

Fourth: good raise. If JJ has trips, good for him. If he puts in a raise on a later street, you may have to check out.

Fifth: well played.

Sixth: I'd bet. Checking and raising might be better. Checking and calling is really awful. What are you afraid of? You have no reason to believe that JJ55 is full. It is unlikely that either of the other guys have straights. You should assume that you have the best high hand until someone indicates otherwise.

Seventh: bet or check-raise or do something. You have a full house. JJ55 does not. Even if the low hands have straights, you're still good. Get your money in there.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:00 AM

I'd like to know your reasoning behind calling the river. I can understand not betting b/c you're afraid of Js full, but his flatcall shows he clearly doesn't have it. I thought you said your default when confused was to bet/raise?