Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Houston Texans Offseason Free Agency/Draft thread

God, they need everything!

What does anyone think of the Ahman Green deal? How much does Green have left in the tank? Id Dominick Whateverhisnameisthisweek supposed to come back? I assume this means they're not expecting Peterson to be around at #8.

So now they need a QB and it looks like Plummer and Garcia won't be available. I hope they don't draft Quinn and ruin him like they did Carr, throwing him out there with no o-line.

Which brings us to the o-line. I think they need to do something about it before they even worry about skill positions.

They also need a #2 receiver.

On defense, they've got first round picks from 2004 AND 2005 playing right end and both are mediocre; although Williams may be better this year. Their secondary is a sieve and they can't stop the run. So they could stand upgrades at pretty much every position.

Good news is they have all their picks, and I think they have about $20mil in cap room.

Thoughts?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Houston Texans Offseason Free Agency/Draft thread

I was thinking of making an AFC South thread, it is the "least watched" division or something like that.

Anyway, the Texans said to me that they will be drafting an O-lineman this year with their first pick when they signed Green. I do not believe drafting based on need, but the Texans have to address the OL moreso than anything IMO. Green has the potential to be a solid back and if Davis can come back from the ACL injury 80-90% I think that those two can be a solid duo, but I have no information on if he's coming back or if he is even still a Texan.

I'll also comment on WR and if your a Texan fan you most likely do not want this addressed in FA. Mostly just because you will be overpaying a WR that could be found possibly in the 3rd or 4th rd of the draft. Andre Johnson is my favorite WR in the league and has to be near the top when it comes to just ability.

I still feel the Texans are going to be the bottom of the barrel for 2007, but if the front office can somehow get its act together, is this possible???, the team could possibly compete. The biggest problem is the AFC South might be one of the stronger divisions for years to come.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, the Texans said to me that they will be drafting an O-lineman this year with their first pick when they signed Green. I do not believe drafting based on need, but the Texans have to address the OL moreso than anything IMO. Green has the potential to be a solid back and if Davis can come back from the ACL injury 80-90% I think that those two can be a solid duo, but I have no information on if he's coming back or if he is even still a Texan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they've still got Dayne in the mix too don't they? A bunch of good back-ups and no RB to build around.

Anyway, the o-line has been their top need and problem ever since it was determined that Boselli would never come back. They obviously have no shot at Thomas with the #8 pick, and they probably have too many needs to be able to trade up. Is #8 too early to take Levi Brown?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:30 AM

Do we really need a separate thread for each team? Can't these sort of posts just go in the main off season thread?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do we really need a separate thread for each team? Can't these sort of posts just go in the main off season thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It sucks digging through a zillion reply thread to find a few posts about your team.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 AM

I haven't read anything about it lately... are Texan fans really pissed about passing over Mr. Bush.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read anything about it lately... are Texan fans really pissed about passing over Mr. Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's be honest, does Bush or Young make this team win anymore than one more game last year? I hear the arguements all the time but I don't see either as a huge boost for the team, not to mention I am extremely low on VY as an actual QB. The OT last year, who's name escapes me, was who I would have liked to see if I were a fan of the Texans. Oh, I'm really high on OL though.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's be honest, does Bush or Young make this team win anymore than one more game last year? I hear the arguements all the time but I don't see either as a huge boost for the team, not to mention I am extremely low on VY as an actual QB. The OT last year, who's name escapes me, was who I would have liked to see if I were a fan of the Texans. Oh, I'm really high on OL though.

[/ QUOTE ]

D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Yeah, I'm with you. Get a line, then worry about the rest.

I agree neither Bush nor Young would've made much diff last year, but I'd love to see them with either one over time as they try to build.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if Vince were a Texan, the Texans might have swept the Titans instead of the other way around. If Vince wins them one other game besides that one, they're 9-7 and maybe in the playoffs. If he doesn't they're 8-8 and a promising future lies ahead.

Instead, we're trying to figure out which of the 22 positions suck the most.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 PM

How does Vince Young sweep the Titans? The Titans would have had Matt Leinert at QB for those games too, most likely. Just because you can scramble does not mean you don't get sacked. David Garrard is the perfect example of that, of the 30 sacks Jaguars gave up last season Garrard took 18 of them. 6 more than the "immobile" Byron Leftwich.

Vince Young loses to the Titans as a Texan. The OLine is far to weak for an NFL QB to play behind. The OL has to play a stout Tenn DL, a very strong Jag DL, and a pass rush heavy Colts DL, that is very good at what they do. There is a reason they have suffered in the AFC South, they are playing against some great DL units.