Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Vegas cab drivers hassling for tips

On two of my most recent cab rides in Las Vegas, the cab drivers gave me crap about my tips.

One was to the airport. The fare was $11.40, I gave him $20 and asked for $7 back. He looked at me funny, went to get his cash, then said,
"You know it's $11.40, right?"
-"yes... why?"
"Only $1 tip??"
-"No, $1.60... what's wrong with that?"
"Man, you know we work on tips"
-"What? How much do you want?

He continued to be quite aggressive and rude about it, so I insisted on getting $7 back. I did almost give him more, but decided not to due to how he was talking to me.

Then today, I got a taxi from McCarran to the strip. Firstly, he took the route through the tunnel, so my fare ended up being a bit more than if he hadn't. It said $19.80 when I got out, so I gave him $25 and asked for $3 back. Barely 10% which I didn't feel great about, but I wasn't too happy about him having gone the long way.

Then he says,
"You know it's $21.20 right?"
-"No, it said $19.80..."
"No it's $21.20", and then he plays with the ticker and it still says $19.80 until he hits some buttons to make it say $21.20

Then I say,
"Ok, then let me ask you a question. Why did you go through the tunnel?"

He says,
"It's faster that way right now, with all the construction. And time is money in this business."

What. Ever.

I eventually let him give me just $2 back, which clearly neither of us are happy about. I've been told about taxis going through the tunnel, but it's never actually happened to me before.

Questions:
1) Do you guys usually specify not to go through the tunnel when you get in a cab from McCarran?
2) Has anyone else noticed cab drivers getting increasingly aggressive lately? I know my sample size is small, but in like 30 taxi rides in the past couple of years, I've never been hassled about my tips until these two times.

Thanks.