Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Hand quiz - CBets and playing draws.

I think I'm too passive with draws in one particular situation a bit too much. I'm just going to make up a few examples in a hand quiz sort of format to see what what you guys would tend to do. I'm too dumb to make polls after 2 years here, so you can just post below [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hand 1: Villain is 15/10/2, but he doesn't fold to a lot of cbets

Hero (button) 100bb
Villain (bb) 100bb

Hero is dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

bunch of folds, Hero raises to 4bb, sb folds, villain calls

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2:diamond

villain checks, hero bets 8bb, villain minraises, Hero?

Hand 2: Villain is 25/20/1

Hero (SB) 100bb
Villain (bb) 100bb

Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

folded to hero, who raises to 4bb, villain calls

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero leads for 7bb, villain minraises, Hero?

Hand 3: Villain is 26/3/3

Hero (button) 100bb
Villain (co) 100bb

Hero is dealt 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

folded to villain who limps, hero raises to 5bb, folded to villain who calls

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

villain leads for 6bb, Hero?

How would your plan on hand 3 differ if villain min checkraised?
Old 06-29-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Hand quiz - CBets and playing draws.

hand 1 and 2 I usually just call unless I've been playing with them for a bit. Just noticed the reads: hand 1 I call for my ~8 outs (A,K,9 not hearts prolly). Hand 2 I might 3bet - depends how accurate that AF is.

hand 3 I raise.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:21 PM

i call all 3
Old 06-29-2007, 05:25 PM

i call hands 1 and 2.

with the minraises you have odds to call and rarely are they folding to a 3bet. only problem is turn will be expensive most of the time since the pattern is usually minraise flop/bet close to pot on turn.

hand 3 can go either way. raising will take it down a lot. calling is good too since hand is disguised if you hit.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i only problem is turn will be expensive most of the time since the pattern is usually minraise flop/bet close to pot on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at in a way. We'll miss our draw on the turn most of the time of course, and end up facing a close to pot size bet on the turn.

What got me thinking was a cardrunners video with a hand pretty similar to the first one I posted, where the cardrunners guy pushed the flop after villain's raise. I did the calcuations, and if villain folds around half the time and we have ~35% equity when he doesn't, pushing has a +EV of about 7bb (if my math is correct). It's obviously a pretty high variance move, but are there situations/opponents where it could be the most +EV move? Everyone advocates pushing combo draws in this sort of situation, say 11-15 outs, but are there times when it's correct to push with less than that?
Old 06-29-2007, 05:44 PM

I think that the case could be made for shoving in hand two. It depends on the villain, but if you think you can get him to fold most of his one-pair hands you'll be pretty well compensated for the times you run into sets. Given that this is blind on blind, it's likely that he's playing back at you with a bit less than he might normally need. And it's gonna be a bitch to play that hand out of position anyway. I don't have time to do the math, but bozzer has been on a math kick lately, maybe we can get him to do it. ;-)
Old 06-29-2007, 06:05 PM

1. I call the raise and toss it on the turn if villain bets something decent. This is not a good spot to shove, too many ways to get it in bad.

2. I pretty much always shove this and am hardly ever worse than a coin-flip if called.

3. I raise. But calling is ok too.