Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: New AP Statement

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No fear of criminal prosecution + Absolute's business still up and running by next year + Cheaters possibly still with company= Far too easy to risk cheating again (just more subtly)

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a good reason for us to have someone go and visit AP and inspect the place to see if this is likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I don't think Nat visiting AP is a bad idea, I'm pretty sure AJ Green won't be hanging around the office the week Nat drops by.

[/ QUOTE ]

if AJ Green is hanging around that office right now, a noose is probably involved somewhere

[/ QUOTE ]

What if he was hanging around Scott Tom's mansion? What I'm basically saying is there is nothing to stop someone from doing this again on any pokersite if they don't have to fear criminal prosecution or a steep decline in business. Its a + EV move for them. (P.S. I don't really know what EV means.)
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: AP infinity plus one - New AP Statement (wiki)

I've created a wiki where we can track the latest progress of the 2+2 investigation and Absolute's response.

http://www.absolutedetectives.com/

I have put the latest cliff notes on there, a summary of important 2+2 threads, and a chronology of all statements made by Absolute since the incident began. (I've also hosted local copies of the responses in case the original versions disappear someday.)

If you find anything on there that is out of date, you can contact me or update it yourself on the wiki.

-pyg
Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 PM

First post.
IMO the consequences of this cheating incident need to be as high as absolutely possible. This includes wire fraud indictments against Tom, AJ, and anyone else who is shown to be involved. The US can and does go after people outside of the country. See Gary Kaplan .

In the past when "conspiritards" have said poker is rigged, "those in the know" have always used the logic that it was impossible because if it happened, the consequences would be so great that no site would risk that.

Now that AP has been exposed, we need to make sure those consequences come to fruition. This way the next time someone finds himself in a position like AJ or Scott Tom were in, his EV calculation will have to include said consequences.

As of right now, the consequences for AJ and Scott Tom are not so bad. Sure they no longer work at AP. But we don't even know if they will stop receiving the financial benefits of their partial ownership in AP (assuming operations continue).

AP must be closed down so that other poker site operators know what will happen if they don't do absolutely everything possible to prevent someone from taking advantage of their customers.

That said, I fully support Nat's trip to AP. I think things could be learned that could lead to this end.
The crime of wire fraud is codified at 18 U.S.C. S 1343 , and reads as follows:

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, transmits or causes to be transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate or foreign commerce, any writings, signs, signals, pictures, or sounds for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the violation affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: AP infinity plus one - New AP Statement

[ QUOTE ]

October 24, 2007

Interim Statement

[/ QUOTE ]

This announcement, the second in a sequence of vacuous feel-good space fillers, is worrisome.

It appears to me that they've decided to embark on an incremental marketing campaign, releasing a sequence of positive announcements, each containing perhaps a nugget of information. Perhaps they hope that quantity will be confused with activity.

They may be using 2+2 as a testbed for their trial balloons. If it's not destroyed here, then maybe it will float anywhere.

This is really ugly, folks.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 PM

great first post p-brane. I hope you stick around and add more insight into this.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A kitten dies every time AP lies.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are pushing the species to the brink of extinction.

[/ QUOTE ]

We need to put a stop to it before they move on to our puppies!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is their now a name at AP that we can go to as being in charge of AP? Or is Chief Norton the only one who has stepped forward?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. As of today, Norton is the only individual to step forward.

-pyg
Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused.

What was the point of this statement? Didn't they just repeat random crap they've said in the 1st statement?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point of this statement is to begin the incremental process of distorting the factual record in order to preserve their viability as a business. In this statement, they begin by rewriting some important history.

The key line is: Upon learning of the incident, AP immediately contacted Gaming Associates, an independent worldwide expert in audits, interactive gaming tests and information security, to undertake an internal investigation.

In point of fact, their immediate response was a cursory examination and a semi-automatic denial, followed by a period of silence and coverup. Then came a trickle of grudging admissions - and officially, it's still a trickle.

I think they are trying to feel out the online poker world to see how far they have to go. This worries me.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:14 PM

thank you for proving that if you want to take the worst possible interpretation of everything they say, you can come up with the worst possible view of everything they do.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM

The question remains as to how the OP came into possession of this latest statement from AP.