Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Upon realizing that you must return to the real world after this incredibly awesome vacation, would
medium 26 18.71%
results plz thx 51 36.69%
No 33 23.74%
Yes 29 20.86%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Batman VS. Batman Begins

Part of Nicholson being so good in the role was that his humor was evil, which made him more evil and sadistic. I think a Joker character that uses more humor in an evil manner is better than a purely evil joker thaqt is occusionally evil.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of Nicholson being so good in the role was that his humor was evil, which made him more evil and sadistic. I think a Joker character that uses more humor in an evil manner is better than a purely evil joker thaqt is occusionally evil.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, there's nothing more evil than prancing around with his "minions" to the tune of Prince [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldnt a purely evil Joker always be evil? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

... Typos aside I know what youre saying there and I think its a matter of preference. But, I will restate that Nicholson's Joker, though pretty solid, is not the definitive Joker and is not strictly cannon. There is of course nothing wrong with prefering his take on the role. He's an awesome actor. But personally, I'm waiting for the Joker in movies (hopefully The Dark Knight) to be as evil as he was in the comics when he...

Tortured and Killed Robin (Jason Todd)
Shot and Paralyzed Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
Tortured and tried to "Break" Commisioner Gordon
Killed Commisioner Gordon's second wife (Sarah Essen)
...He is also in the comics depicted as killing god knows how many civilians and generally being kind of a dick.

Jack Nicholson's Joker poisoned cosmetics and defaced paintings while dancing. Also in a huge cannon error Joker was shown in that movie as having killed Mr and Mrs Wayne... he should have stood out as being evil without having to steal Joe Chill's role.

The ideal movie version of Joker would be dark/evil enough to scare all children under 14 seeing the movie.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the best evil look at him done outside of print so far.... Mark Hamil in all of the DC animated stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I needed an excuse to post this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EUsVwW_gEno
Old 05-22-2007, 08:09 AM

Bale and Batman Begins was much truer to the motif of the late 80's/90's batman - the previous films retained too much campiness of the 60's version.

Bale/Nolan kicked serious ass - and I think the new Joker will too - at the end of the day I thought Jack Nickelson just played his normal weirdo character with white makeup - I'll be interested in Heath Ledger's take, esp. seeing the current makeup of the psycho -

He'll be more like the serial killer he is instead of a weirdo showman. Hopefully it touches on his obsessiveness with the Batman as well. There was a great "Dark Knight" series in the early part of the decade that covered how he thought he had killed Batman. Batman dropped off the radar for a few months recouperating and Joker lost all direction, became a model citizen, donned flesh colored makeup and got engaged to a sweet young girl before Batman returned and brought him back to psychosis.

He's like the one guy Joker can't kill and it an obsession that consumes him - or something like that. You don't get any of that with the Nickelson character - esp. when the friggen KILLED him the first movie - WTF?

rb
Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 AM

Bale and Begins easily for me.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:12 AM

Batman Begins and it's not even close IMO. One of my favourite movies of all time. I cannot wait for "The dark knight" to come out next year
Old 05-22-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He'll be more like the serial killer he is instead of a weirdo showman. Hopefully it touches on his obsessiveness with the Batman as well. There was a great "Dark Knight" series in the early part of the decade that covered how he thought he had killed Batman. Batman dropped off the radar for a few months recouperating and Joker lost all direction, became a model citizen, donned flesh colored makeup and got engaged to a sweet young girl before Batman returned and brought him back to psychosis.

He's like the one guy Joker can't kill and it an obsession that consumes him - or something like that. You don't get any of that with the Nickelson character - esp. when the friggen KILLED him the first movie - WTF?

rb

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good storyline - it's been implied a lot that Batman and Joker basically need each other to survive, and that Batman is almost as psychotic as the Joker in his own way. Like you said, Batman '89 just made it standard good/evil with a campy villain.

Here's a nice little Joker comparison:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10473745
Old 05-22-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The first Batman was the one that single-handedly turned around everyone's ideas of how good a superhero movie could be.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that was Superman.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the franchise that was long since dead by then and whose ever worse sequels helped to make the genre, virtually unsellable before the success of the first Superman, anathema to serious money and the public alike after?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I mean the first Superman movie was very good. Hence, it "single-handedly turned around everyone's ideas of how good a superhero movie could be."

[/ QUOTE ]

We have different interpretations of success then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about the first Superman movie. You're talking about the first Batman movie and how it relates to the later, crappy Superman movies. Notice what I'm not doing, which is to say relating the recent, much better Batman movie and comparing it to the crappy, mid-late 90s Batman movies spawned by the 1989 version. Your original statement makes it sound like the 89 version created superhero movies of quality. It didn't.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, there's nothing more evil than prancing around with his "minions" to the tune of Prince [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Laughing evil is by far the worst of all. Read about serial killers sometime. Some of them think what they're doing is a laugh riot. Almost all of them that are rational enough to keep their own lives together are intimately involved in the pain they cause, and savor it. It's not as evil if you do it as it is if you also feed on the pain and horror of others and it gives you absolute glee.