Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 AM

Default 10 10 in the hole vs a raiser, 9 high flop

2nd hand of the night.

VIllain is a good player, has previously played in the aussie millions, 10k buyin by winning his seat online. I assume he is a tag, and an excellent player. We have had a bit of a chat, and then this hand comes up

Blinds. 25/50, stacks 1500
Short handed, 6 players.
utg folds, utg+1 folds, 1 call, I call, villain raises to 250. 1 call , i call

Flop 972 rainbow, two red cards.

1 check, i check, villain bets 600, 1 caller. I stupidly go all in.

Firstly, what sort of hands will a good player raise with at a short handed table vs 2 callers? On thinking again, he could have raised AA to QQ, AK s and offsuit.

I assume i should have called the raise pf, but would have certainly folded to a reraise. I am getting good odds to spike a set.

On the flop, i sort of talked myself into him only having AK, and put the other guy on not much. (Do you think being impatient is part of my problem? I am not used to live play, it is sooooooooooooooooo slow, and i seem to go aggro at all the wrong times in the name of boredom).

I think i should have folded on the flop, particularly since their was another caller whom i had to beat.

If the original raiser was a maniac, and the pot was hu on the flop, i do think a shove would be appropriate, but feel i massively donked this up

I remember my limit game improved massively when i continually asked myself "what could he have that i can beat" prior to getting aggro. Perhaps this would be a good idea for me to consider again
Old 11-16-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: 10 10 in the hole vs a raiser, 9 high flop

I think his pre flop range is a bit wider than you suggest -I'd include pairs down to 10s and AQ/AJ. The flop bet into two cold callers is quite strong, he's committing himself not probing, he doesn't just have overcards so all that's left is AA-1010 with only one way for 1010 to be dealt given your hand.

I hope it was a rebuy tournament, it's a lot slower at the bar first out waiting for someone else for a cash game.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:26 AM

nice name

anyway...youre basically playing it for set value preflop, and after the caller on the flop, im ready to dump it, theyre both pot commited by now. personally i would have raised it PF.

one of the biggest problems ppl get into is getting too involved with overpairs, especially weak overpairs. ive been guilty of it, ive seen some ppl go to the felt with 66 on a 235 flop...just tread carefully...

by the way, posting stuff like "i stupidly push all in" kinda leaks the results, try not to do that...
Old 11-16-2006, 11:59 PM

[quote
I hope it was a rebuy tournament, it's a lot slower at the bar first out waiting for someone else for a cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a rebuy tourney. I wasnt first out thank you very much, the honour (of course greeted by applause, laughter and chuckling) was received by a man who had AA busted by KJ offsuit.

[ QUOTE ]
nice name

anyway...youre basically playing it for set value preflop, and after the caller on the flop, im ready to dump it, theyre both pot commited by now. personally i would have raised it PF.

one of the biggest problems IMPATIENT MORONS such as you get into is getting too involved with overpairs, especially weak overpairs. ive been guilty of it, ive seen some ppl go to the felt with 66 on a 235 flop...just tread carefully...

[/ QUOTE ]