Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: aba caught bluffing against bobby baldwin in 1.8mil pot

I haven't read through the 400-some posts, but has anyone yet commented on the fact that, as Brian explains it, Baldwin just calls on the river with the nuts? I can't imagine the hand went down exactly like that.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 PM

There was a thread maybe a week ago here where DB called with the nuts on the river - different cards but both were broadway straights. People were reasoning that Villain won't call a raise without a chop and DB gets to see his cards. Other people argued it's a freeroll raise, etc.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Saying that trying to bluff at Bobby was 'an ego thing' and that Brian decided to it before the hand started is frankly stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh. JH certainly is capable of mistakes, but you should probably read BT's blog before you say really stupid stuff.

edit: k, didn't mean to rub it in. i just saw your post acknowledging your mistake. i'll keep this here to acknowledge mine.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM

That's a mean smooth call there. Cold as ice, it says something to Brian AND the others at the table: I don't respect this kid.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read through the last 5 posts before mine, but has anyone yet commented on the fact that, as Brian explains it, Baldwin just calls on the river with the nuts? I can't imagine the hand went down exactly like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

my first FYP.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read through the 400-some posts, but has anyone yet commented on the fact that, as Brian explains it, Baldwin just calls on the river with the nuts? I can't imagine the hand went down exactly like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read through all the posts either, but I did read BT's blog. It doesn't say anything about stack sizes. So it makes sense to me that Townsend's final bet was enough to put Baldwin all in.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:25 PM

(parts of post containing lame joke removed- Dids)

He decided he would bluff Baldwin from the beginning. He had no hand and no draw but would bluff the guy who flopped the nuts.

I will say its hard to believe Baldwin put him on a stone cold bluff with no draws from the beginning. Couldn't Townsend have had a flush draw with hearts or a set with that board. I mean he did reraise the pot preflop. Suppose the third heart came on the river or the board paired? Then what would Baldwin have done. Obviously inducing a $600K bluff on the river turned out to be the right play.

Here is his real problem with live play. He said it himself:

"Its so slow. Everything takes so much longer live and I get bored. It's very frustrating when you only get 30-40 hands an hour (not sure if that's accurate but that would be my guess). I guess you make up for it by the soft games but there is a ton of downtime live."

He sure has a good handle on the type of people you meet in a poker room especially in Las Vegas:

"The people, for every interesting person you meet at the poker table there are 10 selfish, degenerate, and despicable human beings that you will come across. I met quite a few people that I hope I never have to interact with again."

Funny but sadly true.

DFSPON
Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a thread maybe a week ago here where DB called with the nuts on the river - different cards but both were broadway straights. People were reasoning that Villain won't call a raise without a chop and DB gets to see his cards. Other people argued it's a freeroll raise, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
just quoting this so that no one will miss it.

abas blog post seems weird because he didnt describe the hand properly. its still pretty obvious from the turn action that bobby is first to act (i doubt the bluff would have gone this far if aba was out of position).

"The flop came QJT with two hearts. I fired pot of about 66K. He called and the turn came a 4 making a second flush draw in clubs. He checked again and I fired pot of about 200K. He called and the river came an off suit 9. I fired pot again for about 600K and he called with AKxx with two clubs."

this is the kind of hand where you put your opponent on a certain draw and play accordingly. it can be really self destructive when the opponent has a big hand and plays it well like bobby did.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here is his real problem with live play. He said it himself:

"Its so slow. Everything takes so much longer live and I get bored. It's very frustrating when you only get 30-40 hands an hour (not sure if that's accurate but that would be my guess). I guess you make up for it by the soft games but there is a ton of downtime live."

Yea live games wiv 1.8 million dollar pots must be a real drag!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) I love being weighted on hand and foot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weights on your hands and feet? Is this a new kind of massage therapy? Does it help relieve carpel tunnel? Anyone have more info about this?