FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: This time last year....

this time last yr i was in college

now im not

still not sure if thats a + or -
Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 AM

This time last year, I reached my first major live tournament FT at Commerce $500 shoot-out finishing 3rd place. The very next night, I made another 3rd place at $500 rebuy.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 AM

p.s very good thread.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 AM

Last year I was playing stars freerolls and didn't know what pot odds or position meant.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:13 AM

cmon guys...if you put where you were LAST year...say what happened DURING this year and then where you are now...its like reading a cliff-hanger at the end of a book
Old 09-18-2007, 08:47 AM

i was backing adam junglen in some turning stone events...

how things change...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 AM

okay psycho sniper:

i ran hot on stake late 06 and early 07, make around 25k which is nice and pays for everything i need the following year

then for 5 months i break even. very frustrating as i lose a grip on 5/10 and 3/6 NL which was my bread and butter. i play smaller, win, player bigger and lose what i won. roller coaster over and over and over again.

but games are getting harder and I'm not getting better. i win some tournaments pre vegas, which pays for vegas. i go breakeven in vegas. this becomes an annoying trend of breaking even.

i learn PLO and begin to make lots after vegas, focusing on PLO and tournaments having given up on NL cash. i use the profit shortly after vegas for a turning stone donkament trip and end up not playing many live donkaments.

the sunday of that TS trip i finish 2nd in the FTOPS main event for $240k, losing a coinflip for the win essentially.

this gets me $120k since i was backed, so now i am nicely set for a while. i continue with PLO as my bread and butter and tournaments sporadically. everything from ftops is going toward future condo / car / savings / insurance so i'm continuing to play backed for the time being until I can build my own mid five fig bankroll and then take shots at bigger games. right now i am content killing 2/4 and 3/6 and running good at tournaments.

patience was very big for me. for all of summer i could never get anything together and got very frustrated. during that time i learned more about myself than any other, and being resilient has made me that much stronger a player today.

in one year my game has improved so very much, and my mental strength with poker (playing not tilted, not making dumb plays) has skyrocketed.

if i can find a way to motivate myself, i do not think 500k is unreasonable for the next 12 months. unfortunately motivating myself to put in more hours has been the hardest part. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a year ago I was starting my sophomore year of college after a ridiculously successful first 8 months of the year in poker and enjoying life immensely. I then proceeded to not play poker for the next year, and now I'm starting my junior year of college after not playing poker for a year (well, sorta) and enjoying life immensely. here's to the next year of even less poker!

[/ QUOTE ]

funkii, what's the story behind you quitting poker if you were crushing?

[/ QUOTE ]

decided I'd rather spend time on school or with real people than play mtts... they're such a huge timesink.
I didn't actually quit, I played like 5-10 hours of cash a week with the occasional tournament thrown in

but I didn't really make any significant money because I wasn't (and still am not) nearly as good at cash as I was at tournaments, plus the UIGEA etc etc
Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 AM

I think last year I was breaking even at 10/20NL on a 15K bankroll, and my biggest MTT score had been 6K. Now I'm losing money at 10/20NL on a 120K bankroll, and I'm very upset about scoring only 8K yesterday in a tourney. Also, I managed to visit Copenhagen and Barcelona and moved to a much better apartment thanks to poker. Had several 25K+ scores during this time and ran good at cash games for a while. Yay 2+2. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 AM

i did well in 20/40 limit with a bankroll of ~30k.
now i work fulltime for a pokerschool run by pokerstars for the german market und bust my small online-roll playin random donkaments cause limit tilts me hardcore.
live i destroy 5/10euros PLO.