Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Things it took me a while to learn part 8, Bet Sizing

I skimmed this thread, a few quick clarifications:

The stack-a-donk line is not really good and overused unless you're playing clueless opponents. If poker lines were a fashion statement, stack-a-donk would have been out 15 or 18 months ago. Analogous to tournament lines, the stack-a-donk is more outdated than restealing with 7 high. Also, if you're going to check the turn to stack a donk and you whiff, YOU NEED TO CHECK THE RIVER. People traditionally don't understand that.

Another thing, someone said they'd usually check the flop with the set of sevens... no. All I can think of is no. No, no, no. No. Nah, no thanks, no, please no, no sir, no ma'am, no siree, etc. Bet.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:07 PM

good post bond, def a lot of good material for small stakes players in there
Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 PM

this is great. thanks man
Old 11-12-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The stack-a-donk line is not really good and overused unless you're playing clueless opponents. If poker lines were a fashion statement, stack-a-donk would have been out 15 or 18 months ago. Analogous to tournament lines, the stack-a-donk is more outdated than restealing with 7 high. Also, if you're going to check the turn to stack a donk and you whiff, YOU NEED TO CHECK THE RIVER. People traditionally don't understand that.

Another thing, someone said they'd usually check the flop with the set of sevens... no. All I can think of is no. No, no, no. No. Nah, no thanks, no, please no, no sir, no ma'am, no siree, etc. Bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have said this better aejones. Pre UIGEA the stack-a-donk was all the rage, there was still so many clueless recreational players. These days 90% of players at mid and 100% of at high know it's a monster hand. There are just sooooo few situations where it's an appropriate line.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:44 PM

stack-a-donk is too old and overused now. I think its better when the stacks aren't very deep and seems to work better in the late/mid stages when stacks are shallower and they can't fold after they bet and can't call your 2nd barrel very often.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 PM

ah... my 100th post... i never thought i'd get here.
dave, i love your reply to this... and you're a stud (ps. go deacs)

[ QUOTE ]
1. As we've talked about on this forum before, people aren't respecting C-bets nearly as much as they used to
2. I've noticed the minraise of the c-bet on the flop is almost ALWAYS a bluff on FTP

[/ QUOTE ]

- everyone has read HoH and they know what a cbet is nowadays. and it seems like they aren't scared when it comes. they love to check raise under the gun for that minraise on ub too on like K73... obviouisly they read forums... and i have to fold and show AQs in MP3 to them to which they reply "you had me"... its weird tho that they sometimes try to do it when I'm putting like 1/3 of my stack in at a healthy level with something like 2/400 blinds and 8k behind... i.e. PF raise of 1500, 4000 pot, 2500 cbet when effective stacks are the same... it almost screams "i'm calling" and those are the hardest ones for me to not believe.

i've thought about just flat calling to see what they do on the turn... but won't know how to react other than pushing it in.

[ QUOTE ]

The stack-a-donk line is not really good and overused unless you're playing clueless opponents

[/ QUOTE ]
y check behind??? i've found that the most you do is cost yourself here. you want paid off.

[ QUOTE ]
PS Bond it's "too" not "to", as in "I like dogs too". Not trying to be a nit, this mistake makes a sentance harder to read sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

PS dave... if u're gonna rip on bond for not typing one extra O on too... at least run spellcheck and spell sentence right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

love forum'ing it w/ you guys... thanks for putting up w/ me in my noobish stages of complaining about AK never winning, and when i talk about folding aces PF.

i look forward to many more posts and reading about all of your hijinx in the land of make believe.

bond... i hope u never develop carpal tunnel or rheumatoid arthritis, cuz the boards would be at a loss for several weeks if not more.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:03 PM

lol @ [censored] up grammar when correcting it.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have said this better aejones. Pre UIGEA the stack-a-donk was all the rage, there was still so many clueless recreational players. These days 90% of players at mid and 100% of at high know it's a monster hand. There are just sooooo few situations where it's an appropriate line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, will file this into the category of stuff I picked up, worked well at low stakes, but is now best avoided. That'll go with restealing ATC to a button open with 13-20bb's, ridiculous aggression at every bubble and cbetting nearly 100%.

Cheers...
Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 PM

Actually, ridiculous bubble aggression is extremely viable except for maybe a few online tournaments, 100r, 200r, and depending on your table, the weekly 1k's.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, ridiculous bubble aggression is extremely viable except for maybe a few online tournaments, 100r, 200r, and depending on your table, the weekly 1k's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't done so well with it recently, though definitely agree it still has its times and places. I'm mostly referring to the cash bubble, FT bubbles are definitely still very abusable.