Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 07:34 PM

Default 20/40 Really Odd Turn, QQ Capped 6 handed preflop

Ok, I made a really odd play, but the turn brought about some of the strangest action Ive ever seen so I want to know if I am a poker genius or a complete idiot.

20/40 B & M, table is fairly tight, almost all hands going 3 handed or less and nobody is getting out of line. I have no reads other than that mp1 and 2 are a little loose on overcalls and button is a thinking player.

I have QQ on the BB,
UTG calls, UTG + 1 folds, Mp1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds CO Raises, Button calls 2 cold, SB Folds, Hero 3 Bets in BB, UTG calls 2, MP1 calls 2, MP calls 2, CO caps, All Call (6 handed to the flop capped w/ CO and i raising)

Flop- 10D, 3H, 2H.
Hero bets, UTG, MP1 and MP2 call, CO CALLS, Button Raises... I ponder for a second and 3 ball, ALL CALL

(I Immediately put this guy on A10 or a FD)

Turn- As
I check, and it all checks through!!! OMG. ( I figured someone had a strong ace but then why wouldnt they protect!)

River -2c (Final board 10D,As,2H,3H,2C)

I check, UTG Checks, MP1 checks, mp2 checks, CO bets, Button Raises, I take a Time...I 3 BALL, UTG, MP1, MP2 all fold, CO folds and tosses an ace pissed off, Button Calls....

Thoughts?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: 20/40 Really Odd Turn, QQ Capped 6 handed preflop

the turn A sucks, but i still think you need to bet.... cause now even if you get raised, while it would suck, you would have outs to suck out.. especially if you have a heart... and if anyone folds anything, it would definately helps your chances in a huge pot...

i think the river 3bet is ok.... button doesn't really have a hand that makes sense... pot's huge... he either has a 2 or he doesn't and it'd be pretty weird for him to have it... putting in 3 bets still gives you a 6-7:1 and i think it's pretty good in this spot...

also you might want to stop the action where you 3bet cause it could bias responses...
Old 06-02-2007, 01:09 AM

WTF???

w/ your read "I immediately put this guy on AT or a FD" - raising this river is the worst thing u could have done.

I didn't count it but I'd guess u can c/c the turn even though its a horrible card given your 2 outer. but once the river hits and u don't improve, thinking u can get anyone to fold an ace in a pot this big (or in general at 20/40) is kinda retarded... not meaning an insult here but just kinda felt like it needed to be said. just c/f, anything else is a spew
Old 06-02-2007, 02:13 AM

cdlarmore, initially when i read the post i liked the idea behind the play in theory... but are we trying to kick out the original river bettor and expect to see our hand beat button's or are we trying to kick both out...?

the better the button is as a player, the less likely this is to be profitable... since the river bricked so hard it should be obvious that the original bettor on the river will not fold for one more raise, and therefore the buton's raise is wasted as a bluff... which means the button did not miss an unpaired flush, but instead can beat A-rag and is raising for value... i like the play for theorizing, but not for profit... good post tho
Old 06-02-2007, 07:19 AM

What hand are you representing after checking the turn and river?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:54 AM

Ok here was my thinking behind it (and i took a time to think at the table too). I check the turn,I had put button on A10 or Flush Draw but in this super bloated pot, if he has A10 he for sure works on protecting it right? So Automatically I limit his possible holdings to flush draw and prob the 10H giving him a pair. I didnt know what CO had but I was nearly certain I had button beat because of the really odd turn that got checked through. I figured if CO had a small ace or suited ace, he may lay it down (he did and I never saw the kicker.) I wasnt really reppin anything special, I suppose AK, AA, or a boat could have been repped this way though, facing 2 cold with a weak ace, looking to fold is standard there with 2 others in and both putting in strong bets. One of the other things I was thinking was that I prob had to make a call given pot size, turn action, read on button, so for 1 extra bet maybe I would try to make a pinch play based on my read...
Im just wondering if this is a real horid play at this point, its def not standard. Also, does weak ace fold often and standard there as anticipated?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:56 AM

Grolsh, Post in some smaller forumns for a bit before you post WTF on my threads again,
see reasoning below for an explanation of this play, it doesnt come down to outs, im behind, now...to get one of the people to fold a better hand and go to showdown against someone who prob overbluffed a busted flush draw and pair....
thanks
cdl
Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 PM

*grunch*

I think it was a well played river. Your 3B is forcing the weak Ace to call 2 more Bets which he has to fold giving the action. As for the button I would have to put him on something like K10h,Q10h or J10h and played the river poorly. Nice value raise.