Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 01:00 AM

Default NL50 mini raised- i played so bad

Is my call the worst thing to do here given my stack size? Whenver i see someone doing a mini raise like this, its almost certainly AA. Sometimes its KK. I thought about shoving but i know at best I will be 50/50 here. Since i cant reload in this hand, am i stuck here? I am really positive he has at least Kings at the minimum.

There's also those dead money if i go all in but i am sure i am beat here. I think all in here is my best option which i expect most posters to say. However, I had a read on this player that he/she does this with AA and lesser chance KK.

thoughts?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $30.30
BB: $32.65
UTG: $25.25
<font color="black">Hero (UTG+1): $23.75</font>
MP1: $26.40
MP2: $74.00
CO: $53.65
BTN: $65.35

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, MP1 calls $2.50, MP2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $4.50</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $4.25, BB folds, UTG calls $4.00, Hero calls $2.00, MP1 calls $2.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($23) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="red">CO bets $10.50</font>, 4 folds

Pot Size: $33.50 ($1.15 Rake)
Old 05-26-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: NL50 mini raised- i played so bad

Looks like scared money to me, w/o a solid read on that particular villain, I don't lay this down here. In fact, I'm probably raising. Variance is tough, but it happens.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:07 AM

just push it in man.

I can understand the preflop call for two reasons
1. you don't want to only get called when you're beat
2. you don't mind dodgeing an overcard on the flop before you push

BUT if you think villian has AA/KK then you fold preflop BUT if you want to play his range then you push the flop here. ESP with the drawy board where you will get called by losing hands that think you're semibluffing.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:16 AM

IMO if you're going to play at &lt; 50 BB you push this preflop. You've sandwiched a bunch of dead money here. I'm not sure that NL50 players are dumb enough to minraise AA/KK here. This almost guarantees a 4 way flop (somebody has to come along knowing that you and MP1 have to call) which I don't want with AA unless I can get a lot of money in preflop with the best hand. This is a good spot for a 87s type hand to minraise as a sweetener. Of course on this board, 87s is the nuts so lets make it 76s.

If you're going to play short stack poker, play short stack poker. I think you're good here enough to push over the minraise preflop.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:49 AM

I thought shortstack poker was 20BB's and under. i had around 45 BB when i started. Don't i have a medium size stack?

Also, i seen players at this player do this miniraise with AA/KK more often than suited connectors. In fact, I rarely see suited connectors here.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:56 AM

Would AA only half-pot it with a FD though?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:04 AM

Well a good player wouldn't. But some of these players at 50NL might not know odds that much and just bet a small amount to keep a customer.

I find it weird with the miniraise preflop because I do not have much behind. If i had full stack, i understand the mini raise as pot sweetener.

Do i make a valid point?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:29 PM

I would make that raise just for position with a wide array of hands but thats me.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:16 AM

I don't like multiway pots with queens postflop.

I will just shove this preflop because you only have half a stack (he will call you with wider range) and I just can't give someone credit for aces without a read.

I play 50NL too and i have seen way to many donks who I thought could only have aces while they actually have some mediocre hand if I called. Just put it in here.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:58 AM

What hands would that include?