Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 05:20 PM

Default I need advice for dealing with a collection agency. Please help.

Very long story short. I have a credit card that I haven't used in over a year, just show up in collections. I got a letter today saying to call this collections agency (CA) and take care of it. My guess is that the Credit Card Company (CCC) assessed me a yearly membership fee or some other BS charge, and since I wasn't using the card, and consequently forgot it existed, the account started accruing late fees and interest. As of right now, they say I owe around $350.

I called the CA and said I didn't know anything about this, and needed verification of what the charges were for, when they were placed, what the interest was being applied to, etc. They said they don't have access to the information, and told me to contact the CCC. So I called the CCC, and after a couple hours of getting the run around, the account rep told me that they don't have access to information on any account that goes back farther than six (6) months. I said you've got to be kidding, if you don't have access to this info than who the hell does?

I ws told to submit a written request for information to the corporate headquarters and that they would forward me copies of the information on the account. The guy at the CA was actually, cool and helpful, and told me to submit a request for verification, but he also cautioned me that the clock is ticking on the account and that it will continue to accrue interest even while I attempt to find out what is going on.

What is the best way to handle this situation without getting ripped off/screwed? I have done some searching around and have a debt verification letter that sounds very professional and lawyerly that I am going to send to both the CCC and the CA, via certified mail. Is there anything else I can do to protect my credit or to resolve this more effectively.

And please, no flaming about how dumb I was not to handle it earlier, I already know that. What can I do starting now to resolve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: I need advice for dealing with a collection agency. Please help.

Credit cards don't "just show up in collections". You should have been getting a monthly statement from them. Why are you using a card that charges a annual fee to begin with?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:26 PM

thanks for the help, dick.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the help, dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's what I do for a living, prick.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:28 PM

The easiest way to resolve this would be to write a check.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:29 PM

Seems pretty straight forward. Do you remember getting a number of bills from cc company that you didn't pay?

[ ] yes
[ ] no

If no, call cc company. If they continue with the [censored] ask to speak to a manager. Continue upward until you get a firm answer. I unfortunately have dealt with a credit agency in the past and they had a fair bit of info about what the money they were collecting was for (late charges for movie rental from business that went bankrupt, seriuosly).

If yes, then pay them
Old 08-31-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems pretty straight forward. Do you remember getting a number of bills from cc company that you didn't pay?

[ ] yes
[ ] no

If no, call cc company. If they continue with the [censored] ask to speak to a manager. Continue upward until you get a firm answer. I unfortunately have dealt with a credit agency in the past and they had a fair bit of info about what the money they were collecting was for (late charges for movie rental from business that went bankrupt, seriuosly).

If yes, then pay them

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't. There has either been fraud on the account, or the bills were being sent to the wrong address, or, something else I'm not thinking of.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The easiest way to resolve this would be to write a check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 PM

call collection agency tell them you are considering disputing the amount but don;t want to spend a bunch of time on and make them a settlement offer of $150. Most likely they will take it.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 PM

Seriously, call cc company back. Make vague threats of legal action and continue to move up hierarchy. Nothing but good things will be accomplished.