Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: How much is a degree from a low level law school worth? (and more

[ QUOTE ]
Niss and others,

Ok. I have the opportunity to go to a 3rd tier school with a large scholarship (2 years free) or instead attend a 2nd tier school at full price... what has a higher EV?

Basically I am between Hofstra (scholarhsip) and Brooklyn/Cardozo... and I want to practice in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on my personal experience:

1. I think Cardozo ranks meaningfully higher than Brooklyn and Hofstra, at least for hiring purposes. In fact, I think Hofstra ranks better than Brooklyn. This is my opinion and experience and is not based on any US News rankings or other rankings. My experience with Hofstra students has been very good.

2. You can do well if you are one of the top students out of Hofstra, as well as one of the top students out of Cardozo. The difference is that top 15% to top 1/3 out of Cardozo may fare better (outside of Long Island) than that range at Hofstra.

3. There are a number of good firms on Long Island -- both branches of big firms and local firms -- that pay well and do meaningful, interesting work. You should not limit yourself to working in Manhattan if you are considering Hofstra.

4. Law school is way too expensive these days, and the debt can take a long time to pay off. Unless I am made of money, I am seriously considering the free ride.