Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Wii has sold more than we thought

[ QUOTE ]

Now that we have all of these silly sales numbers squared away, let's talk about the actual quality of the games.

According to the site Metacritic, which averages the reviews of reputable game sites, the Xbox 360 has 80 titles with a review score of 80 or higher compared to just 11 for Wii. Moving up to 90 or above, we see that the 360 has 9 games compared to 3 for the wii.

<a href="" target="_blank">http://www.metacritic.com/</a>

Do you think any of the games for the wii even have a shot at game of the year?

[/ QUOTE ]

The comparisons you're making are silly. I'd be surprised if the Wii had 80 total games out right now(not counting VC). Wii has not even been out a year yet.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The comparisons you're making are silly. I'd be surprised if the Wii had 80 total games out right now(not counting VC). Wii has not even been out a year yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Metacritic lists 99 wii games that have been reviewed vs. 278 for the 360 (which includes a bunch of the xbl arcade games that took all of half a day to make). So that translates into 28.7% of 360 games above 80 and 11.1% for the wii.

But since that's probably all still too silly for you, what wii title(s) do you think will be competitive for the game of the year title?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Corruption or Twilight Princess could be considered for game of the year. I haven't played Bioshock, but both are considerably better than Halo 3 which is the only other GoY contender I can think of for the 360.

Edit: Wii games are also unfairly scored for graphics very frequently which deflates their scores.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wii games are also unfairly scored for graphics

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Nintendo's choice to stay in the SDTV era while its competitors moved on, now they have to live with the shortcomings of doing that. Fair has nothing to do with it.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It was Nintendo's choice to stay in the SDTV era while its competitors moved on, now they have to live with the shortcomings of doing that. Fair has nothing to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wii graphics shouldn't be reviewed in comparison to HD graphics but rather compared to the other SD systems or previous Wii games. At the very least reviewers should deemphasize the weight of graphics in Wii reviews.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wii graphics shouldn't be reviewed in comparison to HD graphics but rather compared to the other SD systems or previous Wii games. At the very least reviewers should deemphasize the weight of graphics in Wii reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was Nintendo's choice to stay in the SDTV era while its competitors moved on, now they have to live with the shortcomings of doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-26-2007, 06:10 PM

Nicholas, I find these threads interesting - but would really appreciate links/sources. Some of the claims are pretty outlandish, like the Wii's attach rate. It turns out you are including a $10 game/controller, and the included game. If you include the $10 Live arcade games then the 360's attach rate also becomes rediculous. Depends on how you define your terminology, which was unclear since you did not provide any sources or clarification.

Linking to your sources makes for fun reading and also [hopefully] gets rid of any ambiguity or doubt.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The solution to your complaints is so simple and doesn't require moderator action or censorship! Just don't read threads that don't interest you.

[/ QUOTE ] The solution is actually far more simple. Stop posting crap posts arguing about dumb [censored] (yes this post is ironic)

This thread is interesting, but the partisan bickering is not.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I don't agree with this. They are making HD TV's and DVD players for a reason. People care about the quality of the picture. Like it or not, the Wii's graphics pale in comparison. I went to my cousins house and saw the Zelda game on his HDTV. It looked horrible, and for me, that would be a major deterent. For certain games, this isn't an issue. For example, Wii sports looks absolutely fine, as do most of the older N64, SNES, and NES games.

Again, this is all about what people prefer.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does 99% of what we post about on 2+2 actually matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

sadly your wii posts are quite passionate, its a good system but not the 2nd coming of christ