Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 06:59 PM

Default NL25: 96s and a combo draw -- Oops!

"Oops!" is what I said when MP2 check/3-bet all-in on the flop.

So that was hard to see coming, but I'm wondering about my flop raise in the first place. I'm still working on figuring out how to play combo draws like this one, in various situations.

Anyway, CO is 49/18/1.6 after 99 hands, and he loves to min-raise preflop.

MP2 is 32/2/1.5 after 41.

Once CO called the all-in, it seemed to me like the thing to do was overcall and hope to make my flush and hope that that flush will be good if I do make it. And if CO had folded instead, I guess it's still an (unhappy) call, huh?

Mostly I'm wondering about the initial flop raise.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 ($46.55)
MP1 ($27.65)
MP2 ($25.40)
MP3 ($25)
CO ($43.78)
Hero ($24.20)
SB ($31)
BB ($5.30)
UTG ($19.40)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($2.10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises $24.90 (All-In)</font>, CO calls $22.90, Hero calls $15.70 (All-In).
Old 09-17-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: NL25: 96s and a combo draw -- Oops!

Don't like it.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:08 PM

Your six and nine are almost certainly bad and CO very easily has bigger spades. If CO folds, it is a definite call.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you just call the initial flop bet? If so, what's your reasoning?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:13 PM

Meh, I think it's fine. Of course it looks bad after MP goes all-in, but don't be results-based. Some of the time CO will fold a better hand or you'll get a free river because of your flop raise.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 PM

Initial raise seems OK to me. You might fold higher spades with no pair etc, you might win the pot, you aren't giving anything away. None of your outs are to the nuts though so when you MP2 check/pushes I get scared...

Calling for your last 15$? Getting 4:1, I call on less. I don't like it though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2006, 07:51 PM

I don't like it, but I don't think it's terrible either. If neither of the others has the higher FD, it's fine of course, but I think you see one with a made hand and one with a FD a little too often. (Fiddle around with PokerStove.) Make your hand A6s for the nut draw and it's an instacall.

And I'd raise the flop to $6.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it, but I don't think it's terrible either. If neither of the others has the higher FD, it's fine of course, but I think you see one with a made hand and one with a FD a little too often. (Fiddle around with PokerStove.) Make your hand A6s for the nut draw and it's an instacall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured MP most likely had a set or a straight, although I guess AA or a massive draw like As4s is possible. His hand alone can't wipe out my odds, no matter what it is, so the question of what CO needs to call the all-in certainly is a relevant one. I didn't have much respect for him, though.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured MP most likely had a set or a straight, although I guess AA or a massive draw like As4s is possible. His hand alone can't wipe out my odds, no matter what it is, so the question of what CO needs to call the all-in certainly is a relevant one. I didn't have much respect for him, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having no respect for CO doesn't matter here. Say he makes a stupid call w/ JTs and MP does have a made hand. You're something like 3% to win. Neither player individually is a massive favourite against you no matter what, but both in concert can easily have you crushed.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:23 PM

Your flop raise is great. You have a monster hand, and you'd love to get it all-in on the flop. However, given the action after your raise, it's obvious that villain LOVES his hand - he either has a set, straight, or a combo draw. I'd say the chances he has two pair are quite slim. If CO folds, I'm happy to get my money in there. However, his call effectively eliminates ome of your outs - unfortunately you don't know which ones.

When pushing with combo draws, it's nice to have fold equity. It would be great if your raise had folded out a hand like higher spades or 77-TT. But now your only move is fold or call, and it's wise to see your hand as both a weak made hand and a weak draw. I really don't think you're good here 20% of the time, so I cry and fold.

Care to share the results?