Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: lost in call-fest

as villain here I'd raise the river because after hero and CO check through the turn I don't think they're going to be overcalling the river very often
Old 07-10-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all, seems I give too much respect to flop cold-callers on non-drawy boards.

OneofYouLot didn't have J9 or a set but he did win.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

96? that is a pretty crappy call on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

at gutshot to the nuts getting like 10-1, on a rainbow board, that's an easy call

On the river, it sure looks like he has a better hand than 888, so I would just call the river 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming you don't have the backdoor flush draw....sure you are getting 10-1 to call, but I feel like someone is raising this donk like 80% of the time. So I'm really only getting like 6-1 since I'm going to have to put in 2SB most of the time.

so it probably isn't "a crappy call" like I said, but it is still pretty marginal.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:32 PM

if someone raises after we call we will usually have great implied odds for when we hit. it won't get raised too often anyways
Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as villain here I'd raise the river because after hero and CO check through the turn I don't think they're going to be overcalling the river very often

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. One of them will overcall enough for me to take the risk of losing the one bet from SB in order to get the extra overcalls, or best case, getting raised.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I feel like someone is raising this donk like 80% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a massive overestimate, in my experience. Though if OP is original PFR, it's not a terrible assumption that he's raise or fold here.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but I feel like someone is raising this donk like 80% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a massive overestimate, in my experience. Though if OP is original PFR, it's not a terrible assumption that he's raise or fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously you guys are teaching me something here, that I should be calling and gambling a little more in these spots. Also I think this just confirms that my game selection must suck, because I seem to be in waaay more aggro games than this.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:28 PM

even if it does get raised 80% of the time, calling with a gutshot here is fine. if it does get raised on the flop that means you're likely to be able to checkraise the turn for all the money. easy call with implied odds, i really can't believe people are saying he should fold J9/96 there.

i also don't see how people are agreeing with his river play. remember if someone is going to raise behind him, that player is likely to coldcall a river raise. he should expect chezlaw to overcall or raise approximately never, so he needs to get the sure bet from villain2.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i also don't see how people are agreeing with his river play. remember if someone is going to raise behind him, that player is likely to coldcall a river raise. he should expect chezlaw to overcall or raise approximately never, so he needs to get the sure bet from villain2.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its not a sure bet from villain2 maybe OneofYouLot had noticed his repeated river folds as well. After the turn is checked round his betting nearly always and folding sometimes (possibly often).

chez
Old 07-11-2007, 11:34 PM

I played a hand like that the other day [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Don't think it was against chezlaw but. I think it went to the river 4 ways, I was second to act and had backed into some random monster and managed to call/3-bet.

I would probably bet the turn and check-behind most rivers.