Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 10:43 PM

Default Best Individual Player in the World Cup?

I don'ty want to start a poll, because I have only watched about 1/3 of the games. Is it obviously Zidane? I thought Jens Lehmann played great in the games I saw also, so did Cristiano Ronaldo.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Best Individual Player in the World Cup?

If I were voting for the Golden Ball, I'd vote for Zidane. I also like Buffon, Klose, and Cannavaro.

I don't think Cristiano Ronaldo has been all that impressive.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:30 PM

Buffon
Old 07-06-2006, 11:51 PM

Zidane probably.

A couple of players that would never win the best player award but I think looked real impressive:

Miguel- even thought he got hurt against France he has looked real good.
Ribery- I think this guy has just been fantastic
Lehm- Thought he was great against Italy
Makalele
Deco

Funny how there really was not one striker that took control of this tournament.

What is with everyone thinking C. Ronaldo is impressive?

There have been a whole slew of Midfielders that looked better. I guess if you are looking for an extremely talented player that is selfish, loves to do fifty step overs and has Greg Louganis as his idol then yeah he was the best player this tourny.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:54 PM

the thing about ronaldo is that hes not near as bad as the haters say and hes not near as good as the lovers say.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:55 PM

I've seen a lot of the players play before, so for the most part only dissapointment happened(ronaldinho, lampard, ibrahimovic, etc), but two guys that greatly impressed me where Phillip Lahm and Frank Ribery. Ribery was due to move from Marsellies this summer regardless, but he added another 5-8 million pounds on his transfer fee from his excellent play. I hadn't really seen much of Lahm before this WC, but he was playing great defense and being very dangerous when going forward. Another guy who really impressed me was Mark Bresciano for Australia, he was generally their most dangerous player when he was on the pitch

as far as the golden ball, IMO it will most likely go to Zidane for sentimental reasons
Old 07-07-2006, 12:52 AM

tough becomes some guys have a lot more games than others.

I thought Robben from Holland was incredible.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zidane probably.

A couple of players that would never win the best player award but I think looked real impressive:

Miguel- even thought he got hurt against France he has looked real good.
Ribery- I think this guy has just been fantastic
Lehm- Thought he was great against Italy
Makalele
Deco

Funny how there really was not one striker that took control of this tournament.

What is with everyone thinking C. Ronaldo is impressive?

There have been a whole slew of Midfielders that looked better. I guess if you are looking for an extremely talented player that is selfish, loves to do fifty step overs and has Greg Louganis as his idol then yeah he was the best player this tourny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Miguel. He seemed to shut down one half of the pitch by himself at times.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:18 AM

Zidane absolutely does not deserve the Golden Ball. For the third year in a row, he has failed to lead his team to any club competition titles [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], nor has he been particularly impressive in any matches in the World Cup finals. He has been very solid and done what is needed, but he has far from excelled as some others have in this World Cup. Given his uninspiring play domestically if he gets it is 100% for sentimental reasons.

I would probably have given it to Ronaldinho based on leading his team to the Primera and Champions League titles but it's hard to give it to him with his pretty anonymous performance in this world cup. Another strong candidate would be Eto'o, though his country failed to qualify for the world cup finals so that will make it less likely for him to get it.

Based on this World Cup finals Buffon would be a good candidate but he has no shot given the Juventus scandal I have to think. I think it should go to Henry if France win (though unfortunately it would probably go to Zidane in this case). If Italy win I could see it going to Laca Toni, especially if he scores an important goal in the final, though I think Klose is the top candidate if Italy wins.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:22 AM

jared,

i agree with you about zidane in the first two games. since then, however, he's been sensational. do you really think zidane has just been serviceable in france's victories over spain, brazil and portugal? if that's the case, i'm sorry, you're looking with colored glasses.

others who particularly impressed me:

ribery (where'd he come from? wow), lahm, klose, ricardo, buffon, pirlo, cannavaro, essien.

honestly, i'd gove the golden ball to fabio cannavaro. maybe i'm high.