Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Razz : Tournaments VS Cash-Games

Hello everyone,

I started to play Razz tournaments a couple months ago and I realised how many bad players there is in Razz Events. I play NLHE in cash-game as my primary income and I've decided to play Micro-Limit Razz on FTP in their 25c50c limit game.

My problem is I've only played in Razz tourmanents and I'm afraid I won't use the correct strategy in a cash-game format by playing with my usual tournament style. I was wondering what are the main differences between the two and what kind of adjusment I will need to do if any?

I hope I wrote my message well because English isn't my first language. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Razz : Tournaments VS Cash-Games

The early stages of a tournament are not that different from
a cash game in terms of play.

There are a lot of recent posts on low stakes Razz in this forum
if you search the last 3 months or so.

Tx.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:12 PM

I play them both, I came from NLHE also. If you are playing low stakes trnys - it's the same as micro Razz on FT. Which you'll hate. If you are rolled for it, try starting at .50/1.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:22 PM

What's a good roll for limit games? I heard that it was around 300BB which means at 25c50c 150$ right?

I'll check around the section for old posts !

Thanks
Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's a good roll for limit games? I heard that it was around 300BB which means at 25c50c 150$ right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - but.... how good are you? I just read something about this in SoP and you can float between the two levels pretty easily if you are one of those players who controls his tilt and knows what stop/loss is. You'll soon know when you are facing 1/2 players bottom-feeding and when a 50/1 game is easier.

Have fun.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - but.... how good are you? I just read something about this in SoP and you can float between the two levels pretty easily if you are one of those players who controls his tilt and knows what stop/loss is. You'll soon know when you are facing 1/2 players bottom-feeding and when a 50/1 game is easier.

Have fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're a winning player with a positive EV even after the rake then 300BB should be fine for a BR. I agree with Prax that you can occasionally play at a "good" table at higher limits if you're willing to stop before losing too much if you go on a downswing. If you're a break-even player, or a loser (tho no one on 2p2 is a losing player, right?), your BR requirements will only allow you to get in more action before you inevitably go broke.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:53 AM

This is a skill that I need to focus on from now on : Table Selection. I'm a winning player now in micro-limit in Hold'em and I've never tried to choose my tables. What you all looking for when you're choosing your tables? Fishes? High V$IP? Low V$IP? Other things?

BTW thanks everyone. This forum is great !
Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a skill that I need to focus on from now on : Table Selection. I'm a winning player now in micro-limit in Hold'em and I've never tried to choose my tables. What you all looking for when you're choosing your tables? Fishes? High V$IP? Low V$IP? Other things?

BTW thanks everyone. This forum is great !

[/ QUOTE ]

* I generally want high vpip, the higher the better.
* I want a seat to the left of all the loose players, but *especially* loose aggressives.
* I want a seat to the right of the tight players because I can steal from them.
* I avoid good players when I can, but there are not a lot of razz tables.
* Some of the "good" players are serious long term losers and I try to learn their habits and sit accordingly.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 PM

A few more things I just thought of:

* If I sit down to target a fish or two in particular, and they leave and the table is bad, I sit out, and sit back in if it gets decent. Or I'll leave if I don't feel like sitting around.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:20 PM

For finding players that don't know what they are doing, I don't think you can beat Razz tournaments. Maybe in 2-7 TD SNGs, but I'm not sure. My impression is that most people who play Razz cash games have some clue about how to play the game. Still, it is hardly necessary that you push narrow edges to come out a winner.

I do think it is helpful to review hands with an equity calculator (two dimes), just to make sure your impressions of the hand ties in with reality. I've found that helpful with all stud games though.