Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Best Individual Player in the World Cup?

[ QUOTE ]

the guy on the left.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's actually had a good world cup. You wouldn't know this because the US announcers suck (I'm assuming you're an American) but his decisions to send of the two US players were both standard. In one case, Mastroeni went in with two feet with the studs up, caught all ankle and never looked like getting the ball in a challenge from a behind and to the side angle, right in front of the ref (who was perfectly positioned to see it). That's a very standard red card, especially given that FIFA is trying to crack down on two footed challenges. Pope, already with a yellow, tripped a guy from behind and received a perfectly standard caution.

If I'm not mistaken he was also the ref for the France - Portugal semifinal and did a solid job especially given how tough the match was to officiate. He's not as good as the ref for the Germany - Italy match (at least that match, not sure if he botched earlier matches or not, it's hard to keep track).

Jared
Old 07-07-2006, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jared,

i agree with you about zidane in the first two games. since then, however, he's been sensational. do you really think zidane has just been serviceable in france's victories over spain, brazil and portugal? if that's the case, i'm sorry, you're looking with colored glasses.

others who particularly impressed me:

ribery (where'd he come from? wow), lahm, klose, ricardo, buffon, pirlo, cannavaro, essien.

honestly, i'd gove the golden ball to fabio cannavaro. maybe i'm high.

[/ QUOTE ]am i the only one thinking about makelele and miguel ?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:51 PM

I have a question about football, generally on Defenders/Offense.

It seems to me Offensive players are much *better* players than Defenders.
An Example would be Miguel. Whenever I see him play it always seems like he has a bad 1st touch, and always has to race to get the ball after he touches it. Now he is very fast and quick, and seems like a very good player, but it seems to me that it's like "If he was much better with the ball, he would be on Offense, but he's not, so he plays Defense."

Is this in general true, or am I way off?
Seems to me kind of like in NFL, where Cornerbacks are WR's who can't catch.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ribery has played great but he has really botched some excellent chances. In the Swiss game he was clean through with a very easy scoring chance and bottled it, chosing to square the ball to Henry, and missing him by a mile. In I think the Spain game, Henry went down the right and crossed it along the floor, Ribery could easily have gotten a leg to it (and likely scored) but just choked again. I think there was one other major choke by him too (perhaps in the Togo game).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, Ribery seriously [censored] up in the first games and if things didn't go right for France in the last game (and in the Korea vs Switzerland game) he would very likely be pointed out as one of the main reasons for France's disappointing tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]i really don't think ribery would have been pointed out after the season he's done.There's no way that anyone who follows the french league would've gone after him cause he made a so so game against a team consisting of 10 defensive players.
but for domenech, this was ready ---------->
He is the guy who saved his ass
In the swiss game the big problem was the system in place IMO where basically all the offensive players (zidane,ribery,henry and malouda)are stuck between two line and makelele and vieira have to drive the ball
Old 07-07-2006, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

An Example would be Miguel. Whenever I see him play it always seems like he has a bad 1st touch, and always has to race to get the ball after he touches it. Now he is very fast and quick, and seems like a very good player, but it seems to me that it's like "If he was much better with the ball, he would be on Offense, but he's not, so he plays Defense."

[/ QUOTE ]

not exactly, they just have different sets of skills, if you saw Ronaldinho trying to play left/right defender he'd look horrible. Obviously most defenders won't be as good with the ball as offensive players but that's mostly because they focus their practice (and most of their game) with other things.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]well i don't think it's that simple it's just another position where your main task is different .Side backs in general have to be fast,handle the ball at least decently and understand defensive positionning,it's just different requirement than strikers or midfielders.
BTW,i think miguel this wc as been outstanding both offensively and defensively and his 1st touch is fine
Old 07-08-2006, 10:30 AM

Actually I think it is like the cornerbacks are recievers who can't catch line because that isn't true. Cornerbacks have very similar skills to receivers just as defenders have similar skills to attacking players. If a top corner could catch the ball very well, they would remain a corner and play a little wide receiver (ala Deion Sanders). Similarly, when you have a defensive player with a good touch on the ball, a good shot, good passing skills, good at forward runs etc. they play primarily defense but certainly do get going forward a few times a match.

Also I suppose they develop similarly. If you have a freshman that played both ways in high school (pretty standard for top wide receive/cornerback recruits), they will no doubt hone their skills for whichever position they go into. The corner will do more work on covering, playing zone defense, tackling and whatever else they do while the receiver is going to work on route running, catching the ball, getting off the line and whatnot. Over time the corner is going to see his ability to catch the ball decline relative to where it would have been had he been a receiver.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:28 PM

Cannavarro has been the best player this far. He has been flawless.

HM to Buffon and Zidane. The latter has been good the last 2-3 games but was horrible at the start.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:01 PM

the question morphed into a golden ball question over the thread. for best player, just as such, in my watching I'd probably pick Klose. somenoe above says he disappeared for last 2 or 3 matches. not what I saw. I was shocked when they took him out vs Italy b/c he was involved in several chances. I think his goal where he takes the ball left at the top of the box, draws three defenders and dishes sharp to he right is the equal of the Argentine back heel goal. I admit that I haven't paid as much attention to defenders this tournament and am surely underappreciating some.