Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Plasma/LCD as monitor

I've recently started multitabling ring games and currently have a 22 inch monitor. I would like to know how I could go about getting a larger plasma or LCD television and using that as a monitor or better yet a second monitor. Does anyone know what steps I would have to take and what equipment I would need to do this?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Plasma/LCD as monitor

You need a video card that has two monitor plugs. I forget what it's called but you'll probably have to get a better video card. Other than that, you're fine probably.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:06 AM

This massively depends on the TV - but ive plugged my laptop into my parents TV once as an experiment and it just used a normal I/O cable like you probably use now.

Fwiw, the reason most dont do this is because the resolution you will get will be pretty bad - so in other words everything will be big.

Also, go visit the Computer Technical Help forum right at the bottom of Other Topics - i know they have a lot of good stuff in there from when i looked into a multi monitor setup.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Don't images get burned into plasmas if they don't change for a while? I definitely would not use it as a monitor in that case.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 AM

The resolution on a TV is going to suck. You want at least 1600x1200 and I don't think you're going to get that from a TV.

The other thing you need to be concerned with is the difference in picture quality between you're monitor and what ever you plan to use for your second monitor. I've tried dual monitors without a matched set and it bothered the crap out of me. I want thing to look the same on either monitor. That's why when I decided to get a second monitor I bought the same model as my first.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM

Burn in is massively reduced in modern TVs - its barely a problem in Plasmas, and its virtually impossible on modern LCDs from what ive read. Plus there are products out there that can remove burn in - i forget the name, google is your friend if its your problem.

Yeah, resolution wont be matched, but 1600*1200 is overrated since you can resize tables on most sites. but you do generally want the highest resolution on the biggest screen area you can afford, and a plasma or LCD TV wont have it. That doesnt mean you cant use them (David Benyamine uses big ass plasmas to play on for example) but they arent designed to be used that way.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM

I have an LCD and it's awesome for playing poker. I have a nVidia 6800GT with dual DVI output. First DVI goes to my 19" widescreen Sammy, second DVI goes into a DVI-HDMI converter which outs to my TV. I have a 42" Sony LCD and the res is exceptional. I can't remember the exact res. that I play on 'cause I'm at work.. If you want more info, PM
Old 11-07-2007, 03:47 PM

To put things into perspective, a 20" monitor will have the same amount of screen space as a 40" Plasma, ie room to put windows, the picture is just blown up on the bigger screen. Don't use a TV as a computer monitor, unless you don't care about screen space, which is the biggest concern with monitors if you play online poker and plan on multitabling.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:47 PM

1080p LCDs/plasmas have resolution of 1920x1080. As long as your video card can properly support that resolution everything should look good. You'll have very small overlap if you don't resize.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:11 PM

i was thinking about possibly going to a 1080p lcd setup (like 42" probably) but i dont know if that is big enough... can anybody who has done this comment on the ability to see small details (eg pt stats) from like 10 feet away?

thanks.