Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 01-21-2007, 02:39 AM

Default AA, is this a fold on the turn?

How did I play this, am I automatically going too far with my big pocket pairs? I lost just 70bb during one session and it might have affected my play a little. No reads on the CO, he has only 15 hands.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8SB, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9.5BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 11.5BB
Old 01-21-2007, 03:04 AM

Default Re: AA, is this a fold on the turn?

What do you think cut off is cold calling your raise with.

I would do the same and probably whince when I lost on the river
Old 01-21-2007, 03:34 AM

I don't know if I was on tilt but I certainly gave him no credit for having with a 5, although it is also possible cold call in these games. Pocket 3s and 2s also possible. But, he could make the same play with any overpair to the board. It doesn's look good still on the turn, but I really suck in folding these big pocket pairs HU. I would still call the turn and check call the river - and pay him off and then whine.

But when I think about it more now, normal players probably would have raised the flop with a pocket overpair. And with that board on the turn it is not possible that he caught 2 pair on the turn in which case I would have board pairing outs to win and odds to call. Therefore, a fold on the turn might be good play, but this is a close decision IMO.

If I had had a winning session, I probably would have folded. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2007, 05:39 AM

It's hard to fold the turn because you have a lot of potential outs. Obviously any A is an out against all but 55, a 5 would be an out against 33 or 22 and a 4 would be an out against trip 5s. Unfortunately, one very likely holding for our opponent is As5s, which only leaves us with 3 outs (1 A for the win and 4 4s for the chop). OTOH, A4 is another likely hand and we have 4.5 outs against that hand. You have to be real certain that you are beat to fold here, and I think the possibility that he slowplayed an overpair, decided to raise the turn with air on the dry paired flop, etc. is probably a bit too high to fold here.

I don't play the PS 3/6 game, though, so I can't really say for sure. But unless the game plays superhonest, this is a crying calldown.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:56 AM

folding would be terrible
Old 01-21-2007, 08:14 AM

I guess calling the river is automatic after turn call, no matter what comes? I think against A4 we have only 2.5 outs (not 4.5), 3 4s for a split and 1 A to win. Actually it turned out that he had cold called with 54s (5d4d) and I ended up paying him off like a pig.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
folding would be terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. There is simply too much chance that AA is good. Now, you are likely beat but you have more than enough odds to call.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:10 PM

I'm not getting the fold on the turn. To me, folding is unimaginable given the type of turn raise. This looks more like an isolation raise. I think it's closer to a 3B than a fold and I go to SD a very low %!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:38 AM

so he has 88, good for him, call down