Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: 2007 Pac 10 football thread

[ QUOTE ]
Alex Brink holding all of WSU's records makes baby Jesus cry. All of those great Cougar QBs are going to be passed by a guy who is going to lead us to a 2-10 record for the season and 14-26 for his career. Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

#(@*%&$@!#(*%(*#@%&@$

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

When does basketball start at least?

I'm basically rooting for them to get blown out now so they can clean house and bring in a new coaching staff.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
USC (3-1) @ ORE (3-1):
The game of the week. USC looks revitalized after last weeks butt-whooping of ND while Oregon's offense looks like the scariest in the country. Why I haven't heard Dennis Dixon's name in the Heisman talks is a mystery.

USC had been playing without 3 starters on the offensive line and a starting defensive end. Three out of four of those guys are questionable for tomorrow so that could be an issue. On the Oregon side Colvin and Johnson are out for the season, and while this wasn't an issue against UW, USC's defense is much better.

There has been talk of Sanchez being questionable because he has never played a game of this magnitude but I don't think it will be an issue. USC has the number two rush offense in the Pac 10 (behind Oregon), while Oregon's rush defense is in the bottom half of the Pac. As long as USC establishes the run a lot of the pressure should be taken off of Sanchez's shoulders. Oregon's pass defense is also at the bottom of the Pac so I'm not seeing Sanchez having a tough day.

All this is dependent on whether USC's backups can hold it down on the O-line, which was a major problem against UW, Stanford and AZ. I believe this is going to be the key for this game. If the O-line plays well USC wins because they stop Oregon more times than Oregon can stop them. If not Oregon wins.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oregon's pass defense is #3 in the Pac Ten, not at the bottom. At least, their pass efficiency D is, I presume you were talking about raw passing yardage but that's ridiculously inflated by teams trying to play catch-up in blowouts. It is hard to throw the ball effectively against Oregon this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was speaking in terms of raw yards, completion percentage touchdowns etc. Where did you get the efficiency stat? Either way I'm not convinced. Washington, who are last in the Pac in terms of passing numbers, threw for 257. I don't think the exaggeration due to blowouts can be that pronounced. Oregon is 7th in terms of raw pass D numbers, while ASU is 2nd, and they've been in nothing but blowouts as well.

EDIT nevermind I found out what you are talking about and boy being 3rd does not mean much. There is such a drop off after ASU and USC it doesn't matter. I mean when you're down there a couple spots ahead of Arizona...
Old 10-26-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alex Brink holding all of WSU's records makes baby Jesus cry. All of those great Cougar QBs are going to be passed by a guy who is going to lead us to a 2-10 record for the season and 14-26 for his career. Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

#(@*%&$@!#(*%(*#@%&@$

I'm basically rooting for them to get blown out now so they can clean house and bring in a new coaching staff.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bunch of the national blogs all suggest that UCLA could lose, 'cause it's hard to play in Pullman. That's cute.

WE ARE GIVING PLAYING TIME TO A WHITE CORNER BACK. WE CANNOT DEFEND THE PASS.

Counting stats in a game where being good means you play less years are so meaningful. Brink should never have started ahead of Swogger or Rogers this is so alsdkfjaslfkjasflaksjfalskjfaslfkjas.

Also basically rooting for blowouts.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 AM

Don't worry semtex, after Dixon lights up USC and raises their pass efficiency against number, the difference won't be anywhere near as pronounced [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm gonna have a lot of fun trash talking with you in the week 9 thread during the game, if you're around. All in good fun of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 11:24 AM

White cornerbacks aren't always bad...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_Fox
Old 10-27-2007, 12:12 PM

[[ QUOTE ]
Oregon's pass defense is #3 in the Pac Ten, not at the bottom. At least, their pass efficiency D is, I presume you were talking about raw passing yardage but that's ridiculously inflated by teams trying to play catch-up in blowouts. It is hard to throw the ball effectively against Oregon this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same theory about teams passing more against Oregon because of the score.

Here is the average score of Oregon games by quarter (Oregon score first):
1st: 15-4
Half: 27-13
3rd: 38-18
Final: 47-23

Here are opponent passing stats against Oregon, then the average in all other games played not including the Oregon game:

Against Oregon: 20/38 255 yards 52.6% 6.7 yards/attempt
All other games: 19/32 225 yards 59.1% 7.0 yards/attempt

Opponents average 6 more attempts against Oregon, but complete at a lower percentage and have fewer yards per attempt. Also, 6 attempts x 6.7 yards per = 40 yards a game...quite substantial.

I'm not saying that Oregon has a great pass defense by any means, but their nack for being ahead early in games sure has something to do with their stats.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

#(@*%&$@!#(*%(*#@%&@$

[/ QUOTE ]

A bunch of the national blogs all suggest that UCLA could lose, 'cause it's hard to play in Pullman. That's cute.

WE ARE GIVING PLAYING TIME TO A WHITE CORNER BACK. WE CANNOT DEFEND THE PASS.

Counting stats in a game where being good means you play less years are so meaningful. Brink should never have started ahead of Swogger or Rogers this is so alsdkfjaslfkjasflaksjfalskjfaslfkjas.

Also basically rooting for blowouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

bump
Old 10-28-2007, 02:46 AM

Almost a perfect day for Oregon, they beat USC and UCLA loses to the mighty Cougars of Washington State and the Huskies take another tumble to add humiliation to their shameful year. The only fly in the ointment was that California lost to Arizona State; if Cal beats ASU that would have helped the Ducks. But still a good day and a great set up for the Pac-10 game of the season: Ducks Vs. Sun Devils at Autzen Stadium in Eugene. The winner of that game will probably be the PAC-10 Champs or at least have control of their own destiny.

The other small fly in the ointment was that the Ducks should have put USC away in the fourth quarter. The Ducks went 3 plays and out their last three possessions -That allowed USC a chance to take the game. Only the interception on the last drive saved them. IF the Ducks offense had played better in the fourth quarter it would not have been as close as it was. Still a great win, but it took the defense to save the day.

Go Ducks, beat the Sun Devils!

-Zeno
Old 10-28-2007, 03:13 AM

[censored] Cal. I don't even care anymore. I'd think that at the end of the year, an undefeated ASU would be ahead of an undefeated BC (thx to sos) or a one loss LSU in the BCS. I could still imagine scenarios where Oregon isn't playing for the title even if they won out. I guess that makes me an ASU fan here on out for Pac-10 pride.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:29 AM

I remember when a few people were upset because I picked Cal 6th in the Pac10 this year....ahhh, memories