Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Great New Yorker article on \"Tax cuts pay for themselves\"

[ QUOTE ]
Do you find any tax structure that isn't effectively flat "patently unfair"? How about the widening income gap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes !! and who cares?

Again one of these things is not like the other.

Just because a man has 2 hamburgers and should only eat one does not make it ethical or moral to steal one.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

how "mega rich " someone is is none of your business. Nor does it influence "fairness" in any way. Simply because I can afford to pay twice as much for goods and services as my neighbors is irrelevant to the issue of fair pricing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm at a loss as to how one would defend such a statement.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BECAUSE ......... aside from your fancy little pinko diagrams and propaganda, the facts are that the top earners bear the top tax burden. Only someone too drunk from leftist soma to think couldn't figure this out.

[/ QUOTE ]

We will say you have made 2 million a year over the last 30 years and I have made 100k a year. You have (by today's max for SSI) paid 7.65% towards Social Security taxes on your first 97,500 of income, which is 4.875% of your income. Only 4.875% of your income was taxed for SSI. Almost 100% of mine was. SSI has a surplus of over 2 trillion dollars, half of which was paid in by the employer, however, some are self employed and pay twice.

Now that SSI surplus has gone to financing the general budget's deficit.

So, of the 1 trillion paid (by those employed) towards financing the general budget, you contributed 7.65% of less than 5% of your gross income and I contributed 7.65% of 98% of mine.

So I may be paying only 20% taxes compared to your 35%, but tack on the SSI taxes that are making it possible for the govt to spend more than they could, without additional inflationary pressure by having to borrow it, and you'll see that we are a lot closer than 15%.

Talk your way out of that one.