Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: FT Hand against Apestyles (is this -$ev)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
shove is terrible, no question

stove any range into it, you will see

even if villian is shoving like 40% it is still probably bad, but i didnt check

play more sngs

[/ QUOTE ]

Ape is shoving like close to a 100% of hands

[/ QUOTE ]
Then why are you open raising?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

play more sngs

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well not shoving, but 3 betting. And i thought I can 4bet and he fold (if he made a standard reraise), but after the big reraise i was 90% sure he was calling my shove, but i new i crushed his range. I think part of my fault here, is my pride, which shouldn't be a factor, but i wasn't going too let him abuse me constantly.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:26 PM

You are in a bad situation against an aggressive big stack. If you raise 3xBB, villain is probably not standard reraising and letting you push. He probably reraises big or flat calls. It is hard to play this hand postflop against the big stack. Also, when villain standard reraises and you 4-bet, you are often called.

A raise to 2.3xBB is much better, as it makes it harder for ape to commit to go allin, and it is easier to fold if you want to when ape reraises. It still pretty well commits you against the short situation.

In this situation, you might just open fold. You need to play overly solidly and conservative in this situation.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:11 PM

Whoa I thought you had 99, when you actually had A9. This is bad! You need a big pair to shove here!
Old 10-21-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't matter how wide his range is. This is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Also, JZ you said something about being constantly abused by him, unfortunately for you in this situation villain can really abuse you a lot and not much you can do about it. By shoving here you only hurt yourself.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:22 PM

raise/calling is worse than open pushing with a typical prize structure. I don't care how deep it seems. If you felt he was going to reraise you with everything, than it was a probably a blunder to play as you did, regardless of whether calling is correct after the reraise. I believe he would definitely fold ATo, and probably even AJo if you simply opened allin, due to big strategical advantages to keeping the action going and due to huge fear that you opened allin for 50x the BB!

You could open limp, because it makes it more likely that if he raises your limp it won't commit himself. Of course the downside is that the BB gets to see a free flop. Probably min raising is better than your raise because again he might not make a committing raise and you will lose 4k less but it has close to the same affect on the BB.

Anyway if I was in your spot aganist the SB that you described, I'd either limp or fold. If I had to rank plays:

1. Limp or fold
2. Min raise with idea of folding if they are committed but MAYYYBE moving allin if SB isnt committed, but probably just folding.
4. 2.5x raise with idea of folding to committing raise
3. 3x raise with idea of folding to committing raise
4. allin
5. 3x raise with idea of moving allin against a committing raise.

Against typical unknown player the best play is almost surely to raise to around 2.5x the BB and simply fold to an allin.

But the key to the entire hand is that you want to avoid a big pot unless you have a monster hand. This is true no matter how much you feel like you are being abused or how loose the guy is going to be. You simply must avoid getting all the chips in without a huge edge and your play, from the start of the hand, should reflect this.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are in a bad situation against an aggressive big stack. If you raise 3xBB, villain is probably not standard reraising and letting you push. He probably reraises big or flat calls. It is hard to play this hand postflop against the big stack. Also, when villain standard reraises and you 4-bet, you are often called.

A raise to 2.3xBB is much better, as it makes it harder for ape to commit to go allin, and it is easier to fold if you want to when ape reraises. It still pretty well commits you against the short situation.

In this situation, you might just open fold. You need to play overly solidly and conservative in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its definitely not hard to play this hand with position if he flat calls.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

play more sngs

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well not shoving, but 3 betting. And i thought I can 4bet and he fold (if he made a standard reraise), but after the big reraise i was 90% sure he was calling my shove, but i new i crushed his range. I think part of my fault here, is my pride, which shouldn't be a factor, but i wasn't going too let him abuse me constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes your pride was a big weakness here. This isn't about being macho or having pride, this is about math. A9 is just about 60% against a random hand.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:38 PM

curtains am i correct that you need approximately a little less than 73% equity to call?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
curtains am i correct that you need approximately a little less than 73% equity to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno didnt do the math, that sounds a bit higher than I'd expect, and I don't know the prize structure, but I'm sure it's right.